Can bluetooth access more than one thing?

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hey,

Can bluetooth print to a printer AND control a mouse and keyboard at same time?

I say this because bluetooth seems to "Pair" devices.. so I'd imagine it can't do two things at once.

However, the keyboard and mouse are two different entities... so..?

So will a bluetooth printer work at same time as using my mouse and keyboard.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yes - I can have a bluetooth mouse and a bluetooth phone connected at the same time to my Powerbook. However, I've never tried a bluetooth handset to the phone and trying to talk to the Powerbook at the same time.

I think that each pairing can only carry out one task at a time.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Applespider said:
Yes - I can have a bluetooth mouse and a bluetooth phone connected at the same time to my Powerbook. However, I've never tried a bluetooth handset to the phone and trying to talk to the Powerbook at the same time.

I think that each pairing can only carry out one task at a time.
Hey AppleSpider, I kinda understand what you are saying.. and thanks for saying it works. However, like you just said.. You think a pairing can only do one thing at a time.. then the Mac is being paired to the Phone and the Mouse... so it must be able to do two things.. I'll try now with two bluetooth phones (don't have BT mouse yet).

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Bluetooth operates with something called Piconets, in which one Bluetooth device takes on the role of master and can communicate with 7 slaves at any given time. So if your Mac is master it can talk to both the keyboard, printer and other devices you might have, in what's called a star-network:

Attachments

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Bluetooth operates with something called Piconets, in which one Bluetooth device takes on the role of master and can communicate with 7 slaves at any given time. So if your Mac is master it can talk to both the keyboard, printer and other devices you might have, in what's called a star-network:
Nice.
Looks like we have a source of BT knowledge ;)

Can a slave be something else's master?
Dumber:
Or can a slave have 2 masters?

Cheers

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Thank you, both.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
redeye_be said:
Nice.
Looks like we have a source of BT knowledge ;)

Can a slave be something else's master?
Dumber:
Or can a slave have 2 masters?

Cheers
Yes to both... ;)

It's called Scatternets.

They normally come in one of two types. One with a slave acting as a inter-piconet node (b), and another where a Master takes on the role of slave in another piconet (a).

The latter (i.e. (a), the first on the illustration) is very common because this is the way a new device will access an existing piconet. Only a master can initiate this, and therefore the existing master takes on the role of slave until the connection is established. And then they perform a master/slave switch and the newcomer becomes just another slave... ;)

Attachments

Applespider

macrumors G4
SpaceMagic said:
However, like you just said.. You think a pairing can only do one thing at a time..
Sorry, I meant each individual pairing can only do one thing. So the Mac and phone are paired but you can't use your phone as a remote control for your Mac while you're browing the phone to download images. It's one or other.

Thanks Mitthrawnuruodo for that BDSM information - Bluetooth Device Master Slave...