Can Bluetooth mouse/mice work for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Animation, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Animation macrumors newbie

Animation

All,

TL;DR ... are bluetooth mice responsive enough to use for high speed gaming where precision mouse movement is critical? If so, which ones work best?

Long query:

I bought an iMac a year ago and I really like it. It was my first mac. I got the wireless mighty mouse and the wireless keyboard, but I didn't like them and switched to an old logitech 2-button mouse and I bought the full sized apple keyboard with numpad (wired). This meant I had my mighty mouse and my wireless keyboard sitting around as spare.

I just bought a mac mini server version this past Sunday. I love it. However, it is in my living room and connected to my 60" TV. I attached my old mighty mouse and my wireless keyboard via the bluetooth panel in the system preferences. The mighty mouse is VERY sluggish. I'm not talking about sensitivity. I mean that as I move the mouse, even if I move quickly, the mouse starts off really slow then after maybe half a second it zips along. It also is slow to respond to slow-downs in movement or direction changes. This makes gaming (for example City of Heroes) really painful. It was hard to avoid death because I couldn't quickly react with my characters.

Bottom line ... are bluetooth mice responsive enough to use for high speed gaming where precision mouse movement is critical? If so, which ones work best?

I'm prepared to buy a bluetooth mouse if they can be precise and snappy, but then again the mac mini server is really intended to be a media center, so if the answer is no, then its not a big deal. I can still play City of Heroes and other games fine on my iMac.

Thanks!

2. microcolt macrumors regular

3. Animation thread starter macrumors newbie

Animation

Hmm. I'll check out some reviews. I'll search this site for reviews too. I was hoping to get a more broad comment on bluetooth mice generally. Are the bluetooth gaming mice as crisp as a wired mouse?

Thanks!

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It depends on how hardcore you are. For casual gaming, it's fine. If you are hard core, or even semi serious, not a chance.