Can calibrating your battery make it worse?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by philosopherdog, Feb 4, 2009.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I calibrated my battery last week and I'm pretty sure I'm getting worse battery life after the fact. Has anyone had this experience? Can battery calibration hurt your battery?

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I have no battery issues so far. The Calibration help keep the battery healthy and live longer and keep an accurate reading if you have iStat. Beside All battery will eventually dies as time passes..so everyone's battery will degrade at some point.

3. Stachelsk macrumors regular

No, it won't make it worse. It was probably just mis-calibrated before and thought it had more juice than it did. So while the battery may 'appear worse' after calibration, it is not.

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I doubt it will make it worse. I haven't even calibrated my Al MacBook's battery yet and it has been in great shape.

5. amrk47 macrumors regular

there is no calibrating of the new macbook anymore

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

what are you talking about??

7. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Yes, there is. It's a slightly different process (after the battery runs down, you let it rest for about 5 hours before recharging), but you should definitely still calibrate.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

adorable :)

I don't think we'll ever need to stop calibrating batteries. Same with displays. Maybe you're thinking of cycling the battery...

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Nope, there may be something wrong with your battery.

10. lazydesi macrumors 6502

11. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Calibrating the battery will actually harm the cells, lithium cells HATE being at 100% or 0% charge. The reason it is recommended is because it will align the charge circuits in the batteries to know exactly how much charge the cells can hold. Proper maintenance of the batteries, such as not constantly being left at 100% charge and storing at 60% charge if not being used for an extended period of time is better for the overall health of the battery.

12. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Agreed with most here. It will not make it worse.

13. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

If you think you're having battery issues, take it in sooner than later. I took in my MBP because I thought the battery life was a little too low about a month before the year mark. They swapped it out with no questions asked. Just check your battery health.