Can Carbon Copy Cloner create bootable drive on USB?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kapalua12, Mar 25, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of getting Carbon Copy Cloner to use with the LaCie d2 USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series 3TB External Hard Drive that I currently have to make a bootable external drive for my soon to be delivered 768 TB iMac 3.4

If I partition the drive and make say a 1 TB partition for CCC in that 3TB LaCie drive, can I make a bootable drive from that one partition and also use the partition for subsequent incremental backups? Will the 2012 iMac boot from USB3 as well as Thunderbolt?

Can I use the same drive and the remaining 2TB partition with Time Machine to do time machine backups to the same drive?

Can you suggest any other large external drives that will allow daisy chaining the drives connected with the Thunderbolt port in the iMac?

2. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

What about suggesting any other drives that allow Thunderbolt pass through to daisy chain a few thunderbolt devices off of one port? The LaCie drive does not have that capability.

3. dandrewk macrumors 6502

I would not use the same drive for both the CCC partition and TM. If that drive should fail, you've lost all your backup.

I only have the LaCie, so don't know about other TB drives that can daisy chain.