Can CCC or SD do this software apps copy-clone task?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nilo Santos, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Nilo Santos macrumors newbie

I just bought the 27" iMac i7. It is loaded with software apps that were already pre-installed (Adobe CS4, Final Cut, Logic, etc.) with the Registration Codes and Serial Numbers. However, I don't have the original discs or installers for these software apps.

How can I copy or clone these software apps? I want to be able to re-install them again (in case of loss due a re-format or service repair). I want to copy or clone these software apps into an external hard drive, and/or install these software apps on my other Mac Pro.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Why not just install therm from install DVDs?

I don't think that the clone will allow you to "install" them from one ot another the way that you are thinking. You would need to know where all of the install files are at. If they are in the Applications folder only as far as the application part goes, then you just need to find where the registration info is stored.

3. alienapp macrumors member

Another possible solution would be to download trial version of those software and keep those as backup instead along with the serial codes and registration numbers.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

How could you not have the install disks? They should be included with the purchase unless the apps are pirated. Often you will see great deals on machines with thousands of dollars of expensive applications included but no disks, and the applications are pirated.

If you bought from a reputable dealer and you didn't get the disks, then the dealer is not reputable.

5. Nilo Santos thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't setting up as a 'new mac' let you transfer everything over via Time Machine?
    I remember that when someone upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, they used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Tiger machine. Once they did a clean install of Leopard, Migration Assistant brought everything over from the Tiger Clone and didn't ask for any install or serial numbers of the applications.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well to be blunt if you purchased a computer and did not receive the the disks and or license, then that's piracy. Instead of trying to figure out how to keep your stolen software, why not purchase it

[/rant]

If I'm wrong and you do have a legit license, contact the vendor for replacement disks.

7. Nilo Santos thread starter macrumors newbie

Can we stick to the original topic please?

I do not have the DvD install discs. But the Registration Codes/Serial Numbers are there, with the software apps that were pre-installed on the computer.

It would cost thousands to purchase these software apps again. Why would I want to do that, even if I had the funds?

I just want to copy them onto an external hard drive or something (for use as a back-up in case of loss due a re-format or service repair) and/or to use on my other Mac Pro computer.

The original question here was: Can CCC or SD or what can do this software apps copy-clone task?

Please. Thank you.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

It sounds like your computer was pre-loaded with pirated software. If you didn't get the install disks then you don't have legit copies. You won;t get help here with pirated software. And how much did you pay for the iMac? Did you pay for the applications or just for the computer? If the iMac was selling from Apple for, say, $ 1800 us and you paid just the equivalent of that in us funds, then you did not purchase the apps and they are pirated copies.

9. Nilo Santos thread starter macrumors newbie

It is not pirated software. I paid $2600 for the iMac, and an equivalent amount for the software. The problem is that the discs were lost or stolen or I don't know what happened to them because they are nowhere to be found. They were probably stolen, but Apple and Adobe tells me that whoever is holding the COA stickers on the disc packages is considered the owner. So that leaves me in a lurch, and I can't seem to get any help here either, except on all other matters except my original inquiry.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you make a complete copy of the boot disk with CCC or SuperDuper you will be able to get the disk back. This doesn't mean you will be able to re-install, just be able to get back to where you were in the first place. So if you have a working boot disk now and all is well and you clone wih CCC/SuperDuper and later your boot disk goes south, you can restore from CCC/SuperDuper to the state it was in when you made the copy. This is not the same as re-installing, but you will be able to go back to where you were when you made the clone.

11. Nilo Santos thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have a working boot disc that is all and well now. Although, I have not done any work yet, as everything is still practically brand new. But I will try this. Thank you.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

For an external HD, get one that is at least as large as your boot disk. I prefer firewire, but it's a matter of choice.

13. Nilo Santos thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do. Thanks again.