Can certain backpacks, spoil my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imHappy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. imHappy macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I know this question sounds totally stupid.

The thing is i was seeking for a good backpack for my mbp and i narrow it down between the level8 Atlas and the North Face Surge backpack.

Both backpacks have a dedicated laptop compartment which is really great for protection.

I just got the chance to see physically the Surge backpack. The this bag has like a quite stiff panel side, by the side of my back(and its next to the laptop) and when i try it, it pretty much gets arched. Now since this part of the bag is pretty stiff, by common sense, wouldn't this exert more pressure to my mac since the bag is not totally vertical?

Even if I will carry my mbp with a neoprene sleeve inside the Surge, would it be safe enough to not worry about?

In the other hand, i haven't physically seen the level8 backpack. Does this bag has a stiff back like the surge? if not would this be better protection?

Which would you recommend me. I really need a big bag for my textbooks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I put my Mac into a messenger bag with just a neoprene sleeve [as my bag doesn't have a computer compartment]. I've put 3 computers with no sleeve in my bag before along with books and power adapters; no problems. I don't think you'll have any issues as long as you toss your bag around and drop it to the floor.

3. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

as long as you *don't* toss your bag

I knew what you meant, just incase English isn't someone's first language that's reading it.

4. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

well it didnt respond my question at fully but still, thx for answers!

anyone else? haha

even though i will be using a screensavrz or shaggymac in my mac, i feel like the lcd can get spoiled because of the exerted pressure of the surge!

so again, would this back stiff panel in the side of my back, would be worst or better than a bag withought stiffness in that side.

5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm not understanding what you mean by "spoiled." Do you mean damaging your MBP's case and/or display?

Most backpacks that have a laptop compartment have been designed to not damage it. I have a Swiss Gear backpack and have transported my laptop in it during several vacations and with several textbooks in it and it was fine. Even took a slip on some ice, landing on butt first then my back and it was fine. I would assume North Face would have some decent R&D behind it to make sure that the laptops are adequately protected.

6. JR1993 macrumors regular

I think you mean the keyboard will press on the screen and leave a mark.

Im not sure, but hopefully made it clearer for people who do know.

The problem that those old motorola clamshell phones had

7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apple's laptops are very robust and durable. The key is to protect it from scratches, impacts and drops. I would highly suggest a sleeve of your choice even when choosing a backpack with one built in. The reason is that most backpacks are designed for Dell, HP, and other much thicker laptops. Whereas the Mac is less than one inch. So a good sleeve will take up the extra space and provide an extra layer of protection.

Finally it's absolutely crucial in my experience to use a keyboard protector, since the compression of books or other objects pressing against it, will squeeze the display and keyboard together, thereby damaging the display. This is a very common problem with all Macs at one time or another. A protector like this will prevent that problem.

http://goo.gl/m4xex

8. Shohan macrumors newbie

Not to derail the thread, but does Best Buy carry anything like these ScreenSavrz or ShaggyMac screen protectors? I've got some Reward Zone points to spend and this sounds like a good idea.

9. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I've been using the Surge for 3 years now, my MBP is fine. What I do is place my MBP so that the bottom faces the back of the Surge, while the lid faces towards the main compartment.

10. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

I had a laptop that I had in an incase neoprene sleeve and it got cracked to hell in a book sack with no dedicated laptop compartment. None the less it was a dell but it was bad. And it was only with books.

11. imHappy, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

wow guys, the replies i was expecting!

especially thnks to you BlaqkAudio, im placing my macbook in the same way you insert it in ur surge.

SAVAGES i am also using an incase neoprense sleeve. How did ur computer got cracked down?!

BTW i will lend my new surge to my brother who owns a macbook AIR, that laptop feels fragile. Would it be the same placing that laptop in the surge?

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Be careful about using a Speck hard case. I used one and case imperfections bent my screen out of alignment with the bottom casing.

13. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

14. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

I have that on mine. I really like it I hope this does not happen. And with the cracking on my other computer I'm just really not sure. Lol I took it out one day and the plastic around the screen was just cracked to hell where the screen was held inside the plastic. Screen was okay though. I now have one for my 17" MBP and it's worked fine so far but also made a little better.

15. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

The RAZR definitely had that problem.

I've been concerned about it too, since both of my previous Apple Laptops--a Powerbook G3 and a Powerbook G4--both had keyboard etching on the screen problems. I assumed it was because of the case being pressed against the screen in a backpack, but it also has to do with the skin oil that builds up on the keyboard and eventually etches into the screen.

I'm not sure if this is still an issue with the glossy or new-style matte screens, but it was a big issue when the display was completely exposed.