Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I bought a logitech anywhere mouse. I tried various drivers on my macbook to get the mouse to work properly but it would always stick and jump and work like complete garbage. Everyone I talk to on this website using the same mouse said it works a treat. well recently I changed monitors and computer and now the mouse works perfectly. Im just wondering if its possible that the monitor was also effecting the mouse. (the monitor screwed up my wifi reception when connected). is usb wireless kinda like wifi. im wondering if thats what the cause was or if its just a different computer with less driver mess.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes it can, if the monitor is not shielded well it emits EMC which could influence other devices, hell even the new USB 3 standard has those problems when Cables are used with bad shielding.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
it will take a few days but I may set up the old system on the other side of the room. time will tell if its far enough away to effect it again. at least by you telling me that if it happens again i know for sure whats causing it so thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Suggestion to anyone using a Logitech mouse (or any mouse) that uses a "radio-frequency" receiver (NOT bluetooth):

You want to get the "receiver" (the part that plugs into USB) as CLOSE TO THE MOUSE as is possible, to avoid interference.

On my setups, I use a wired keyboard that has USB plugs on either end. I'm right-handed, and I plug my mouse's (Logitech wireless) receiver into the right end of the keyboard.

No interference problems.

Suggestion for those who don't have USB keyboards with a USB plug:

Get a "USB extender cable" (see link below).
Run it from any available USB plug to a location near the mouse.
Plug the mouse receiver into the end and "let it hang free".
This brings the receiver into close proximity with the transmitter (the mouse) -- hopefully cutting down on any interference.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030309

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.