Can Colour Labels Kill a System?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CartoonChess, Sep 7, 2008.

1. CartoonChess macrumors member

Hello,

The other night I did a clean install of Leopard on an iMac G4 and sent it through all of the latest updates. I created an admin account and a user account, the latter with a few e-mails, address book entries, and Safari bookmarks from a previous installation. Third-party installations were limited mainly to Office 2008 and Openfire.

This computer is set up for use by a non-tech savvy individual, so I started labelling folders she would never use (Sites, Microsoft User Data, etc.) as Grey. I was doing some of this under her account and some of it under the admin account (switching back and forth while installing stuff; maybe that was the culprit?), and decided to label /System, /Library, and /Users in the same way. In order to do this, I set the System folder to be world writeable (through the GUI, and not recursively), and then labelled it. But I couldn't lock the permissions again, nor could I unlock the permissions of the Users folders. I did manage to change Everyone back to No Access, however.

After this, an attempt to open Terminal failed, the whole system locked up, and now it won't boot. I tried various things from the Leopard CD (it refused to verify, let alone repair, permissions), single user mode (drive functioning but nothing fixed the problem), to watching a stream of errors in verbose mode.

Anyway, an Archive & Install sounded less painful after a night of failure, so that's what it's doing right now. I'd really like to label those folders, but obviously am hesitant to try again. Is it really possible to nuke the system that way? I removed the extended attributes while in single user mode, but there was no effect. The permissions were correct, too. I'm tempted to try labelling the folders as root, since no change of permissions will be required (I assume).

Thanks for the insight.

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I assume it has something to do with you restricting access to everyone, I wouldn't be surprised if there are files that need to be edited or opened by the system in those folders.

Labeling should be fine, just don't go messing with permissions on system directories :)

3. CartoonChess thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. You'd think I'd have the brains . . . Now I can't remember if I set the System folder to No Access or Read only. For some reason, I think it was No Access. My assumption was the system would still be able to use it because it was owned by system and the wheel group. Oh well. No labelling, to be safe. Thanks!