Can companies read your text messages from a personal smartphone when logged into staff wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wdw35, Jun 13, 2017.

1. wdw35 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I wanted to know if companies can read the content of your text messages from a personal smartphone while you are logged onto staff wifi. We have to sign up using a name specific login name and password. Also, if so, how long do they store the information in their servers?

Thank you.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't know for sure, but I would think that an SMS text message would go through the cellular network and they wouldn't be able to intercept.

If you're sending an iMessage, then it's encrypted end-to-end and they wouldn't be able to intercept either.

If you're really worried, don't log into the company wifi.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Does your company allow personal text messages during work hours ?

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

...this is quite an authoritarian response.

To the OP, no, iMessage is encrypted end to end.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Actually, it was more of a curiosity. All the companies I worked for didn't officially allow personal texting / calls. People did it anyways but risked a warning up to a termination if they got caught.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

all the companies I worked for were worried to get sued if they restrict cell phone use because you could miss an important emergency or child care call or such. so we were always allowed to text and call as long as it didn't interfere too much with work.

7. PlayUltimate macrumors newbie

I know folks that were immediately terminated due to using their personal cell phones in a work area. They be could be used in a lunch room et al. if needed.

8. mwhals macrumors regular

We can use cell phones as long as they do not interfere with work. There are places they are not permitted due to electrical classification.