Can connect to router but not to internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdabbs, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jdabbs macrumors newbie

I recently stopped being able to connect to the internet without typing the password to my wireless...every time! My MacBook Pro connects to the router and it says that everything is fine. But when I try to get online through Safari it says I am not connected to the internet. This happens every time I open my computer and try to get online. Once I go through the network administrator and work thought the assistant to type in the password I get online no problem.

I have read some of the other posts to see if anything would work and so far nothing.

I reset the router. Nada.
    I deleted the password for the wireless from my keychain. Nothing.

Any suggestions?

(please keep in mind I am new to Macs and will need a little hand holding)

2. derickdub macrumors 6502

Does it say that you have an invalid IP or does everything seem alright in your network preferences? I suggest resetting the modem too (if it's separate from the router).

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you describe the router and how it is connected to the internet? (Brand? Model? internal or external modem? ...)

B

4. jdabbs thread starter macrumors newbie

The modem is an external from Time Warner Cable. the router is Netgear. The router is hooked up to the modem. It's worked with no problem automatically connecting me to the internet without having to put in my password for months (it's a new MBP) I never had this problem on my old MB.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Have you deleted the router information from within Network Preferences and then tried to reset up the router within again, as sometimes complete removal from the MBP helps cure internet woes?

6. 153098 macrumors member

Probably need to remove the dhcp lease and reset it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try plugging the computer directly into the cable modem?

When was the last time you rebooted the cable modem.

What lights are on steady or blinking on your cable modem. That may indicate an issue.

Once in a blue moon I need to recycle my cable modem and comcast recommends unplugging the modem for a few minutes, and then starting it back up.

8. windowstomac macrumors regular

Do other machines on the network connect to the Internet?

9. jdabbs thread starter macrumors newbie

my computer will connect to the internet. I just have to go in my network settings, click assist me, then assistant, and choose my wireless name and put my password in. Every time I open my computer I have to do this. As long as I leave the computer open I'm online. Any ideas?

10. jdabbs thread starter macrumors newbie

I have reset the modem and the router. I just now went in and deleted my wifi from my list in the network area. When I restarted the computer i was able to get online with no problem. But then I closed my computer for 10 minutes and opened it and had to go back into the network administrator and put in my password. It keeps grabbing the wifi I want to use. So my computer recognizes that much. Even when I delete it from the list. I only have two wireless connections on the list to choose from (very new computer... she hasn't gotten out much, yet)

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Have you tried setting the information through the advanced settings within the Network preferences or are you always using the assistant to set up the network? What are your TCP/IP Tab settings within the advanced settings area and is your router settings appear within the WifI Tab?

12. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Is it possible that your firewall is stopping it? Would you want to turn that off to get recognized as since it's new? Not sure...just an idea.

13. jdabbs thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what the TCP/IP stuff means but this is what it says:
    Using DHCP
    IPv4 address: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1
    Configure IPv6: Automatically

Then there is a box that says "Renew DHCP Lease"

I usually go through the Assistant because it is gets me online. If I use the Advance option it won't work because I have to go in and enter my password again.

In the WiFi setting it tells me that I'm connected to my router and it shows the IP address.

My firewall is off. Not sure why I did that but I think I read it on another post. Didn't work, though.

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Are those addresses when you are able to connect to the internet or not? Are they different in when internet connections are good versus connections not allowed? Is the 192.168.1.1 in fact the address of your router? If this is the case does the router have the correct address for your cable modem?? If you try and reset the lease, do the numbers change and you are able to fix the issue or do they become self assigned invalid ip addressees?