Can copy from but not to external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macprobl, Jul 13, 2016.

1. macprobl macrumors newbie

I seem to be having an issue for quite come time. Basically, i can't seem to copy files over to my external drive. I am able to copy small files up to 1.6gb or so, but if the file is larger than that, the copying simply pauses and i am unable to cancel it without unplugging the said drive. I never had this issue and i have been using this drive for months. I don't know what happened, but i think that this started after an update of some sort. Any ideas guys?

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

What format is the drive formatted in? Right-click on its icon and choose Get Info.

FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4 GB and FAT16 has a maximum file size of 2GB.

3. macprobl thread starter macrumors newbie

ExFat, which doesn't have a limit.

4. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

can you clarify from your original post. "having an issue for quite come time... I never had this issue and i have been using this drive for months."

is it that the drive ran fine for months and has recently started failing on large copies? can I ask, what is the drive? but preliminary diagnosis would be a failing drive.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

When you right click the drive and click get info what does the permissions pane down the bottom say??

6. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Have you run Disk Utility on the drive? Open Disk Utility and click on the volume name, (not on the drive itself - i.e., click on "Johns Backup Drive" not "WD 1TB drive") and select "repair drive".

7. macprobl thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried copying files from the drive over to my smaller macbook 2016 and it appears that files copied over, but would not copy back, just as they do not with my macbook pro. I think that the drive may be failing, so i need to order a new one right away and copy all the files over before they corrupt (hopefully it never comes to that) Thanks for all the help guys!