Can Crossover Office run 256-colors?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by danny_w, Apr 12, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I downloaded the Crossover Mac trial and for most simple things like SOL.EXE it runs just fine and almost transparently, but when I try to setup a game that requires 256-color mode (like Shanghai Great Moments) the game says that it can't run because it requires 256-color mode (endless circle?). This happens even if the Mac desktop is set to 256. I read in a readme or somewhere that there was a setting to make X11 run at 8bpp, but I don't know where to set this; Crossover doesn't install the full X11, so where does it read the configuration from? Of course I can use Parallels or VMware for this, but Crossover is so much more integrated and less intrusive, and doesn't require running real Windows, but I would really prefer to make this work.

2. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Never mind. I had high hopes for Crossover, but finally trashed that piece of junk. Too many lockups, even when just creating an empty bottle. And everybody says that the support from CodeWeavers stinks. I I also tried VMware Fusion, but for some reason on the second day it claimed that my trial license had expired, and wouldn't accept my license key. I guess will try Parallels next.