Can current 15" MB Pro base model handle Photoshop CS4?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TBONE72, Nov 18, 2009.

1. TBONE72 macrumors regular

Hello,

I have a friend who is looking to buy a new MB Pro 15". Can the base 15" model w/ the integrated NVIDIA video handle Photoshop, or should she go the next step up with the dedicated video card? I am not a Photoshop user, so I don't feel I could give her a credible recommendation. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

depending on what they use photoshop for, yes it will work pretty well, for very heavy image work though he would be better off maxing the ram out and throwing an SSD in for performance ;)

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

The only applications that will benefit from the dedicated video card are 3d rendering and games (the latter running in some flavor of Windows). I am a light Photoshop and heavy Lightroom user, and the base model MBP15 is just fine for my needs.

4. audioteknika macrumors regular

You should take note that CS5 will be able to take advantage of the gpu.

5. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all! I had a feeling the the NVIDIA could handle the load, but wanted to make sure.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Also note that the integrated 9400M GPU in the base model is named accurately and is recognized as a suitable OpenGL device by CS4.

7. La-vida227 macrumors member

When using photoshop on my 17" UMBP I normally just leave the 9400 on. It works fine

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

My macbook pro does alright with it. Not the fastest (i sure could use 4gigs of ram!). But it runs fast enough to be usable.

9. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

No issues but look below on what's in the box

10. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

My macbook from 2006 handles CS4 fine. I imagine a current Macbook Pro will be ok.

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You should take note that CS4 already does this. Well at least on windows.

12. KG2002 macrumors member

My wife is a professional graphic designer and her main tools are PS and Ai. Since she is doing snowboard size print files at 300 dpis, her typical file is 300M - 500M, multiple layers.

She works for different clients all the time, so the MBP is surprisingly her primary tool. She is not happy with read/write speed however, she does not complain much about the PS or Ai performance. Slow, of course but not awfully slow. Well, keep in mind the files she is dealing with.

She has mid 2008 MPB, 2.5Ghz with 4G RAM. Famous 8600 Nvidia.

P.S. Get matte screen - glossy with MBP for PS is a no go.

13. madog macrumors 65816

madog

PS mainly utilizes RAM and the processor. If you get the new Extended version, that can also work with 3D models and 3D painting. If you were going to do extensive work in that then a dedicated GPU would be better in the long run. Aside from that, PS CS4 has some GPU accelerated features by default (I'm not sure if it's just for the 3D aspects, or if it can offload some other tasks to the GPU to speed up overall rendering or whatever).

If you don't plan on doing that in PS, then you could get away with a MB, however, if you plan on doing it professionally, the faster computer and more money you spend now will help greatly in productivity over a period of time.

For the non-student non-pro middleman the base 15 MBP is a great start.

14. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

Again, thanks for the excellent responses! I appreciate it! It sounds like the NVIDIA card will be fine. I asked her what her Photoshop needs will be and she expressed that she will be learning it and hopes to be able to use it well within the next few years. So, I recommended the base model, which comes with 4GB of RAM.

Guy, that is a very nice rig you got there!