Can decide between which Macbook is suitable - any tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xeorix, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Xeorix, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

Xeorix macrumors newbie

So I'm really finding this rather tricky.
    To start with, I would use my MBP for
    • The usual stuff
    • Holiday Video editing using Premier Pro or Final Cut
    • 3D Modelling (SketchUp)
    • Heavy photoshop use

and I currently have the 27" mid-2010 iMac (3.6Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, ATI 5670 512MB)

My question is, would the base 15" model with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and Iris Pro suffice for this, or will struggle and need the extra 8GB RAM and dedicated GPU.

If anyone already has a MBP and has the same use as me, I'd be grateful if you could left me know

2. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Video Editing, 3D Modelling...Heavy Photoshop use, warrants a Dedicated GPU and Max RAM Go far the latter !

3. Xeorix thread starter macrumors newbie

When I'm talking about this:

Video Editing will be simply home videos which are 720p
    Heavy Photoshop use is manipulating files which are usually 80-100mb

I will also be doing application coding on it as well.

Not sure if that changes your opinion?

4. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I have edited 1080p videos in fcpx on my girlfriends iris pro only 15" and found it to be more than enough for personal use (for professionals the dGPU is a must have).
    Same for (not professional) photoshopping. Don't know about 3D modelling.

Anyway I'd go for the 16GB Ram and if you then also consider getting the 512GB SSD, the dGPU comes in free. So I'd say either go for:
    2.0/16/256 or
    2.3/16/512/750M

5. Xeorix thread starter macrumors newbie

I can get the iris pro one, but the ssd is only 256gb. When you put a 512gb one in, it's barely worth not getting the full spec one :(

6. kelon111 macrumors 6502

If you can't afford the high spec one , have you considered getting a cheaper Windows based PC that can do photo editing fairly well?

7. Xeorix thread starter macrumors newbie

Not so much that I can't afford it. It's more a case of, do I really need to spend that extra :)

Plus, I used Windows one and I'd rather not switch back. Using it at work is enough ;)

8. kelon111, Jan 24, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

If you want to stay with Apple , you'll have to pay the extra if you want comparable features to what cheaper Windows based PCs could have.

Also remember that Macs are considered more of a luxury product.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The base model is fine for all the things you listed, but since you consider your content creation heavy, I would get the 16GB of RAM. For 3D modeling, I know a lot of things work better on Nvidia CPUs via CUDA, so that's an advantage; the advantage is usually quite significant.

To make things easier, just get the mid range model (2.3/16/512/750M) channel configuration. The added storage may not be needed in this instance, but you don't want to carry a bunch of power sucking external HDDs when you can store everything internally.

The performance should also exceed your current iMac's; you can always sell that and get yourself a 4K display or something.

That's just stupid. Also why a lot people find ways to flame Apple users. :rolleyes:

10. kelon111, Jan 24, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

You pay more for something that looks and feels nicer , right? How is that not considered a luxury?

If you have extra money why not get something that looks and feels nicer?

Also , if I recall correctly , Mac users on average tend to be richer than those who buy cheap Windows laptops so they can afford to spend more.
    http://mashable.com/2009/10/05/mac-ownership-study/
    (This is an old article but some of the facts still hold true)

----------

A Quadro or Fire Pro GPU is much better for 3D rendering.

11. Xeorix thread starter macrumors newbie

My 3D content is rare, however I do it the usage is light, its more Photoshop where its heavy use.
    Not sure if the IS have different specs, but the config you just mentioned is the top spec mbpr

12. kelon111 macrumors 6502

The dedicated GPU on the top spec MBPR is roughly mid end. The Iris Pro integrated GPU on the lower models is basically between a low and mid end card depending on the task.

A dedicated Nvidia mid end GPU is still a big jump from the Iris Pro overall. If you have the money , I'd say go for the top spec model so you'll get a nice GPU. If you do get the Nvidia GPU , you aware that you will still have the Iris Pro integrated on the CPU but the Nvidia GPU will be preferred for heavier workloads.

The Nvidia drivers are also much more optimized for 2D/3D stuff than the Intel GPU drivers so somethings will run better because of that as well.

13. Xeorix thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. Just taken a look at a YT video and the iris pro seems pretty powerful and had no issues running games on the 15".

Just a shame adding 16gb tab and a 512gb brings it up to almost the same price as the high end one

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you match the CPU, RAM and SSD, the price between the Iris-only and Iris+750M is identical.

So it makes no sense to buy the Iris-only model when the 750M is a free add-on.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the problem is the base model upgraded doesn't have the 750M. Hence my suggestion.

Anyways the top spec has a 2.6GHz processor and a 1TB SSD ;)

16. blooperz macrumors 6502

The dedicated GPU is more or less useless for photoshop as it doesn't utilize dGPU's much, if at all (except for a few rarely used actions). It baffles me every time someone says that you will benefit from having a dGPU for photoediting. The only reason you would need the dGPU is for the video editing/3d work you described...photoshop is a ram hog though so I would get the 16 gig if you really plan on using it often.

edit: if you are also looking into gaming you will want the dGPU...the iris pro is decent but it can't hold a candle to the nVIDIA at higher resolutions. You'll also want to load up bootcamp as gaming in the mac OS is a little sad :( Poorly optimized drivers and whatnot...

17. Xeorix thread starter macrumors newbie

Went for the 15" with the GPU in the end. Got apple refurb for £450 off!