can decide on mbp 13" or 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thespeakerbox, Jul 17, 2009.

1. thespeakerbox macrumors newbie

I like the look and feel of both and do notice the brighter screen on the 15.

Does anyone have any opinion on one vs the other? Are the keyboards the same size?

I plan to use it for a small business, sometimes as a desktop replacement sometime as just a travel accessory. This would be my first mac since buying an selling an old g4 ibook about 3 years ago. I'm sure things have changed and if im happy with my new mac, i'll probably turn into a mac guy.

Windows was fun with overclocking during my teen years, but as I grow up, computers mean only email, excel and work work work

2. klee1987 macrumors regular

yes the keyboards are the same size; the 15 is wider to accommodate the screen and the speakers are relocated to the sides.

if it's a desktop replacement you'd prob. be better off with the 15 inch......it's got a bigger and higher resolution screen, which means you can display more windows at the same time......multitask better

but of course, bear in mind the extra weight

get the base 15 as you won't be using it for graphically intensive apps like games, 9400m is good enough for email and work

as for the screen issue: 13 or 15, it's good enough for most people that don't come onto this forum...also, when u actually get your machine, you will only have one so u won't be comparing and you ll find that the screen is very nice.....

hope that helps

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Which models are you look at? If it's the top of the line 13" and the bottom of the line 15" then it really comes down to screen size. They're both great machines but everyone has different uses so our opinions on which one is better may not help you as your needs are different than ours.
    BTW, I have the new 13" 2.53/SSD and love it. I'm on the go so I need portability. The 15" is just too big and heavy for me to carry around and I'm 6' tall 200LBS and in great shape. :)

4. D4F Guest

D4F

I went with portability.
    I sold my Alu MBP after having some issues with it and went to the Apple store looking for another 15".
    After messing with both of them around I decided that 13" should do the job and I'm happy I went that way. After all, it's still a laptop. When I need big I use my 24" ACD with my Vista monster :D

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

15 inch...13 seems too small although it is great for portability. I guess it is a trade off in a way...power and size for portability.

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I just got my 13" today. Got it as basically a desktop replacement for college. I love the size, not too big, not too small and super portable.

7. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Buy the base 13" MBP and spend the money you saved on Apple Care, a nice big external monitor, ram and a big HD.

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

That's exactly what I did/plan to do :D

9. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

I agree. That really is the best way to go.

10. D4F Guest

D4F

And it's a wise thing to do :)
    Why spend more on tiny bigger screen with marginal resolution increase while still having same GPU.
    You can get a nice 24" for that difference and you get best of both worlds.