Can different carriers cause battery drain ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaguar9, Nov 23, 2014.

1. jaguar9 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

Is it possible that some carriers can require heavier processing and cause more battery drain ? I recently changed carriers and noticed that the battery drains faster on the 6+, so could this be the case ?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Reception effects battery.

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Poor signal area = phone constantly trying to get good signal and using more battery

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

They absolutely can.
    It's not heavier processing, the technology is the same. It's different signal strength.

5. jaguar9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Might explain the poor reception at my work place (switching between 3G and 4G) . If I disable 4G would that help reduce the amount of searching for a better signal it does, which then reduce battery drain ?

6. soufflegirl macrumors member

Yes!! This is something that I've recently noticed as well. Switched to a new carrier and I seem
    To get much better battery life. I had to pay $175 to get out of my contract, but it's worth it for the great coverage and improved battery life!

7. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I was wondering this as well because during my day at school I fluctuate from 5 bars of LTE to nothing for extended periods of time.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

If the location is affected by a poor 4G coverage, that's for sure

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes. If it's constantly dropping 4G but a weak signal is present, it will keep trying to aquire the 4G signal, wasting battery. turning LTE off will make it stop trying to re-auire and will help your batteyr last longer.

Though, when coverage improves, you should turn 4G back on.

10. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

What about this situation. At my office 4G doesn't work, only 2/3G. I have enabled LTE but cellular data is turned off. Does it also takes more battery with turned off cellular data?

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you only got 2/3G reception and have LTE turned on, it will use more power.

I am on ATT with 2 bars at my house. I have a friend who is on T-Mo with 3 bars. If both phone are charged and left alone off the charger, my friends T-Mo phone looses almost twice the battery than mine if both phones are idle.

If you can turn off LTE when in a 2/3G area only, you will save battery. Unfortunately ATT phones no longer allow toggling LTE on and off. They feel that we are stupid and do not know what we are doing. Most likely don't.

12. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Thanks. But in mind I was talking about turned off cellular data. Does it still trying to get LTE while cellular data is turned off? :)

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Oh yeah! If I put my T-Mobile SIM card in at my house (bad signal) the battery drops % like a rock :D :p So yes one way or another it can!

14. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I've noticed that when I'm in an area with low signal strength the battery drains much faster. Makes sense if a different carrier has lower signal than another it would be shorter battery life.

15. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Reception and bands do impact battery life, absolutely.

16. azhava macrumors regular

Since when? On my iP6+ (8.1.1, AT&T), under Cellular, I have the option of "Enable LTE > Off / Voice & Data / Data Only".