Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaguar9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Hi everyone.

Is it possible that some carriers can require heavier processing and cause more battery drain ? I recently changed carriers and noticed that the battery drains faster on the 6+, so could this be the case ?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hi everyone.

Is it possible that some carriers can require heavier processing and cause more battery drain ? I recently changed carriers and noticed that the battery drains faster on the 6+, so could this be the case ?

Reception effects battery.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Hi everyone.

They absolutely can.
It's not heavier processing, the technology is the same. It's different signal strength.

jaguar9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Reception effects battery.

Poor signal area = phone constantly trying to get good signal and using more battery

They absolutely can.
It's not heavier processing, the technology is the same. It's different signal strength.

Might explain the poor reception at my work place (switching between 3G and 4G) . If I disable 4G would that help reduce the amount of searching for a better signal it does, which then reduce battery drain ?

soufflegirl

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Alternate 1985
Yes!! This is something that I've recently noticed as well. Switched to a new carrier and I seem
To get much better battery life. I had to pay $175 to get out of my contract, but it's worth it for the great coverage and improved battery life!

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Might explain the poor reception at my work place (switching between 3G and 4G) . If I disable 4G would that help reduce the amount of searching for a better signal it does, which then reduce battery drain ?

I was wondering this as well because during my day at school I fluctuate from 5 bars of LTE to nothing for extended periods of time.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

If the location is affected by a poor 4G coverage, that's for sure

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Yes. If it's constantly dropping 4G but a weak signal is present, it will keep trying to aquire the 4G signal, wasting battery. turning LTE off will make it stop trying to re-auire and will help your batteyr last longer.

Though, when coverage improves, you should turn 4G back on.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Yes. If it's constantly dropping 4G but a weak signal is present, it will keep trying to aquire the 4G signal, wasting battery. turning LTE off will make it stop trying to re-auire and will help your batteyr last longer.

Though, when coverage improves, you should turn 4G back on.

What about this situation. At my office 4G doesn't work, only 2/3G. I have enabled LTE but cellular data is turned off. Does it also takes more battery with turned off cellular data?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
What about this situation. At my office 4G doesn't work, only 2/3G. I have enabled LTE but cellular data is turned off. Does it also takes more battery with turned off cellular data?

If you only got 2/3G reception and have LTE turned on, it will use more power.

I am on ATT with 2 bars at my house. I have a friend who is on T-Mo with 3 bars. If both phone are charged and left alone off the charger, my friends T-Mo phone looses almost twice the battery than mine if both phones are idle.

If you can turn off LTE when in a 2/3G area only, you will save battery. Unfortunately ATT phones no longer allow toggling LTE on and off. They feel that we are stupid and do not know what we are doing. Most likely don't.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
If you only got 2/3G reception and have LTE turned on, it will use more power.

I am on ATT with 2 bars at my house. I have a friend who is on T-Mo with 3 bars. If both phone are charged and left alone off the charger, my friends T-Mo phone looses almost twice the battery than mine if both phones are idle.

If you can turn off LTE when in a 2/3G area only, you will save battery. Unfortunately ATT phones no longer allow toggling LTE on and off. They feel that we are stupid and do not know what we are doing. Most likely don't.

Thanks. But in mind I was talking about turned off cellular data. Does it still trying to get LTE while cellular data is turned off? :)

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Oh yeah! If I put my T-Mobile SIM card in at my house (bad signal) the battery drops % like a rock :D :p So yes one way or another it can!

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I've noticed that when I'm in an area with low signal strength the battery drains much faster. Makes sense if a different carrier has lower signal than another it would be shorter battery life.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
...If you can turn off LTE when in a 2/3G area only, you will save battery. Unfortunately ATT phones no longer allow toggling LTE on and off. They feel that we are stupid and do not know what we are doing. Most likely don't.
Since when? On my iP6+ (8.1.1, AT&T), under Cellular, I have the option of "Enable LTE > Off / Voice & Data / Data Only".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.