Can Digitimes be trusted when it comes to MBP rumors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MauerFan, Mar 17, 2012.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

A lot of websites use them as a source when it comes to macbook rumors. I'm waiting to get one for college and am hesitant to get one right away because I keep reading that they may arrive in the next month or so.

2. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Not really. All they do now is spew off random rumors with little basis in fact and get them right about 50% of the time. (They guess so much they're bound to get some of them right)

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

They have been throwing a lot of rumors out there recently - losing crediability in my opinion.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, it works like this

What they hear from a factory: "We just send ten 14'' screens to california."
    What they report: "Apple working on a new 14'' Macbook."

They have a large noise/signal ratio, so it's impossible to know which of their rumors have something to do with actual future Apple products.

Some other websites stay closer to facts, and actually follow up on some of their stories, instead of just throwing everything out. Usually a few weeks before the actual release the number of rumors increases, and they come from more diversified sources. Pictures of parts show up, shipment receipts, new model numbers in retailer inventory lists, etc.

If you want some interesting reading, have a look here:
    http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/13/apple-drops-nvidia-kepler-from-large-numbers-of-laptops/
    http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/13/intels-non-delay-of-ivy-bridge-explained/

5. daman7676 macrumors newbie

So pretty much Digitime's report really means nothing? Based on their report, my initial reaction is that Apple will start selling these units by April but in reality, we may not see them until July or August or whenever Apple decides.

I guess I'll just stick with the MBP 13" currently on it's way to me.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's not a secret that Apple is very good at keeping future products secret. In my opinion no other outside reporting agency is credible. The only time any of them ever get close is just a few days before the actual release. And even then it's still dodgy.

Anyone who makes plans, even tentative ones is taking a big gamble. There's no advance planning as an Apple customer. The stress free way is to use patience and wait till the product has been released. People that make such a big deal out of it, is a reflection of the number of impatient users with little else to do.