Can "Directions" mode be activated when just driving around?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by davehutch, Oct 28, 2012.

1. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

In the way TomTom does, can the Turn by Turn mode be used when you're just driving around so you see the road bends coming up. It's very useful in country lanes you don't know, or do you have to actually be navigating TO somewhere?

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Not the way you see it in turn by turn, but....

Open maps in standard view, zoom into level of detail you want, hit the 3d button on the lower left and then double tap the location arrow lower left so the map is always showing the direction you are moving....I think that's as closeas you can get to what you want.

3. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Good idea.
    Do you know whether GPS Direction overrides Compass Heading, because the metal in a car renders the compass heading a bit on the "less-than-useful" side?

4. gglittle macrumors regular

GPS uses triangulation involving multiple satellites, as well as your position relative to a cell tower, so what you need is line of site to the satellites. The Compass app uses GPS, not magnetic, so nearby metal should not cause any problems as it does with a real magnetic compass. You may need to calibrate the Compass app by holding it infront of you and moving it in a lazy figure 8.

If you're having problems with a real magnetic compass in your car, then calibrate it. It should have an adjustment setting that will allow calibration to a given vehicle, and if it doesn't, then it's to cheap to be used for serious navigation.

5. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

You might have misunderstood, or I didn't explain it properly
    For an app to use a GPS compass, you obviously need to be moving, otherwise if your position never changed the app won't know which direction you're heading in.
    My question relates specifically to the Maps App and I wondered if, for arguments sake, you headed in a North direction, the map would show you heading north i.e would orientate the map Northwards, rather than orientating the map in a direction dictated by the magnetic compass heading, which is likely to be suffering from interference from the car's metal parts.
    That way, you would not need to calibrate the compass using the "figure-8" method, in order to orientate the map correctly, as long as you kept moving.

TomTom uses GPS heading, not Magnetic.
    Motion-X GPS has an option of using either GPS or Magnetic heading when travelling at less than 5mph. At more than 5mph it automatically switches to GPS heading.
    That's the feature I would lilke to see in the Maps app so it can be used to show your route, even when not navigating anywhere in particular.

6. mnemonix macrumors regular

Incorrect, the iphone uses a magnetometer chip. This is precisely why it needs calibrating when it is affected by interference.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's usually referred to as follow mode. Directions mode menas that you're getting directions (not what you seem to be asking about).

Refuted above but just in case you need a reference from the source:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767

The figure 8 calibration does nothing for the GPS receiver.

8. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Anyway, I guess the answer is no it can't, as I just tried it on a train
    I'll suggest it as a feature on Apple's feedback page

Attached Files:

9. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

tap the direction arrow...it will switch to the direction you are moving instead of always facing "North"

10. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

You'll see from the screen capture I posted...I've already done that and it doesn't work, despite fact that I had a good GPS lock and was moving in the direction of the train track!