Can Disk Utility make ppl vanish?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AENAON, Jun 16, 2008.

1. AENAON macrumors member

AENAON

I was there, trying to help a friend of mine make his MCP a bit less sluggish, and I thought it could be fragmented a lot after 3 years of use (he had fill it up a few times). So, I went on booting off the Leopard DVD, backup the internal drive into one dmg on an external drive. Finished after 2 hours, verified, ok.
    Then I erase the internal one, and start restoring the dmg on the usb drive, to the the internal disk. Everything ok, but at about 1/3 of its way, disk utility freezes(!).

I hit the power off, and on again, boots into the dvd, trying the same restoration for a second time. And then, it gives me an error that the volume in the dmg is not valid! What do u mean not valid? I just made it!

I hook up the external to my iMac, I see the dmg I made, get info, its 176MBs! s**t!!! The dmg should be something about 85Gbs!

Naturally, I freak out, I start all the recovery apps I could find, nothing! 100Gbs vanished into oblivion!

Just whaaaat happened here? I mean, to my knowledge and experience, that's not even possible! how can disk utility freeze and then replace my dmg with an almost empty one?!

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

maybe disk utility did not do the erasing, but in fact froze due to the corrupted image.

:confused: could be a possibility

3. AENAON thread starter macrumors member

AENAON

But how could it go up to 1/3 of restoring a 85gb image before freezing, then making the contents of the image disappear?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Hitting power while accessing external harddrive sometimes screw things up.

I suggest trying Disk Warrior.

By the way what is a MCP? Mac and sluggish are typically not used in the same sentence for most users (keep at least 10gb of boot drive free).

5. AENAON thread starter macrumors member

AENAON

MCP=MacBook Pro

Yeah, he was reguraly filling up his drive and keep on working on it, so I tought it was a fragmatation thing over the years, so that's why I started the whole thing in the fisrt place..
    I tried Disk Warrior but couldnt recover anything :/