Can downloaded m4r's be changed to mp3's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cpo, Jan 4, 2009.

1. cpo macrumors newbie

I believe this to be the right place to post this question. Is it possible to download a m4r song/ringtone, and then change it to a mp3? i don't quite understand the process of changing extensions. I've tried, but nothing seems to allow the song to be played in ITunes. When the m4r is downloaded, it goes right into the Ringer folder in ITunes. I want to import it into GarageBand and manipulate it.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the goal is just to get it in GB, you don't need SoundConverter or the like. You were 90% of the way there, you just were trying the wrong format. M4R's, as the name suggests, are not MP3 files. They're MP4 files (AAC). So you can't just change the extension to MP3. You can, however, change it to the AAC extension, which is .m4a for unprotected MP4 audio files... once you do that, the icon for the file should change, and it should import into GB just fine. Note that this probably won't work for iTunes-purchased ringtones, which have DRM (you can probably change their extensions to .m4p -- which is for a protected AAC file, but GB probably won't import them).