Can Dreamweaver layout Javascript/Ajax in Tables?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I have a slideshow formatted from google ajax feed Api in my webpage, I am just considering how to layout the slideshow. At the moment it is aligned to the left.
    I am considering centring it or maybe 25% to the left or something like that. Anyway I am just wondering if I could place two table's ontop of each other and set one as a percentage (Like I have done with my logo)?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm not following that question very well.

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

As you know angelwatt; I am a complete novice at this webdesign, so I went on ebay and bought a training Dreamweaver DVD. It was quite handy:
    It showed a couple of different methods to centre a logo (or whatever) onto a webpage whilst still maintaining it's resolution (Not changing its size) just centre it on the page.
    I drew a table, set its percentage to 100%, then placed another table ontop of it, with the logo in it at its resolution (about 900 pixels I think). There may have been a bit more tinkering as it was about a month ago I did it, but it worked: as you resize the page it stays in the centre, the picture/ logo does not resize. It just centres on the page. I'm not very good at explaining things as you can see :D

4. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Old Methods

I see now that what I did with the tables is old methods, the better way to do this is CSS. I now need to learn this :eek: Gonna take some time :(.

5. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

So is Dreamweaver a Waste Of Time?

When I first started to design my website I thought 'Great, Dreamweaver basically does everything for me' after a basic couple of images I now discover that the design view does no longer work, also noticing that it works in old methods i.e. tables ontop of each other.
    Is dreamweaver a waste of time, what are the benefits as it seems like I am now having to hand code it all anyway.
    Also Is Flash becoming 'old hat', certain animations and all sorts of stuff is now done by javascript/ ajax, css and stuff like that.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's partly a matter of opinion. A number of people who use DW, use it in code view mostly. It's the only way to truly control everything. Also, as a page becomes more dynamic (like with JavaScript) using the design view just doesn't make much sense. I only use code view when I'm coding. My "design view" is me loading it in the browser.

As for Flash, I never use it. It seems to still have a place for multimedia, but using it for just the navigation on a site, or some other small piece is going out (thank goodness). It'll still be a round for some time and it does have its uses. I prefer using CSS/JavaScript when possible though.

7. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I saw a pretty cool thing on a dreamweaver, drawing image maps. As opposed to coding an image map:eek:. I am dreading constructing one of these. How do you find your rough positions. Do you just keep guessing and testing it until you get there:( it must take ages if so:confused:.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've rarely needed to do it, but the easiest to me is to open the image in a graphics program that indicates what pixel position your mouse is at then make note of it. I believe I've come across JavaScript tools that will let you select points on your image in the browser and output all the points you clicked on. It was for tracing around an image.

9. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I would agree with most of the feedback given. CSS is the way to go, if you can. I found tables always rendered differently on different browsers.

Very frustrating. :rolleyes:

10. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Plus working with div's is much easier with javascript.

Div's aren't perfect, they don't naturally go into columns, but with floats and margins you can make it happen.

A lot of people start with tables, but it isn't the way to go, and once you have learnt how to avoid them you will be thankful. Semantically the code looks a lot nicer also.