Can dropping your phone damage the internals?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shenfrey, Jan 9, 2016.

1. shenfrey, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016

shenfrey macrumors 68000

First thing people freak out about is the screen but what about the internals? Surely we could knock that Taptic Engine out of place or hard enough that it could malfunction? What about damaging the components such as the processor?

2. Realistiic macrumors regular

Realistiic

I would think it's possible to damage any component if hit hard enough and in the right place.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Technically yes but the screen generally goes first.

4. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Yes, of course it can cause something internal to break or become loose.

5. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

I have dropped my phones fairly hard in the past, how come they have never been internally damaged? I imagine phone manufactures anticipate this and protect the components somehow?

6. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

You're right, but its hard to predict every scenario possible for dropping a device.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

With a hard enough impact, solder joints can crack. You've either been lucky or the impacts weren't enough to cause any noticeable damage.

To some extent, but how much impact protection do you want built into your phone? You know how cars protect their passengers, right? They crumple. Do you want you phone to do that?

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is all in the luck of physics.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I dropped my unprotected iPhone 6 on a concrete sidewalk when it was fairly new. Just one nick in the aluminum, screen was fine, but the vibration motor always rattled around a bit more than it had previous to the drop.

10. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

Everything is screwed down or glued down, that being said anything can happen if dropped hard enough or at the wrong angle I suppose but I wouldn't worry too much. If something comes apart you'll know and you can take it to Apple.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

My wife dropped her iPhone 5 out of a slow moving hotel resort tram in early 2014 Even with case on. It was a loud "thud" noise I hear when it hit the cement. I was sure screen shattered. But case saved it.

However the phone was in reboot mode and the "blue screen" of death appeared on the iPhone.

So the motherboard/logic board had to be damaged for the blue screen of death. Took it to Apple Store and they gave me a free replaced it cause it was under warranty. They didn't find any "physical damage". I am sure there was damage from the loud thud I heard.

12. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Can fallng damage *your* internals? The iPhone only feels like a solid block of magic. It's got lots of little fiddly bits. Try not to drop it.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Can dropping your phone damage the internals?

You really need to ask this? Off course it can and will if you drop it.

14. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

I can't believe somebody posted this ... I swear some Apple users ask the most ridiculous questions.

15. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

Not just Apple users, people in general ask ridiculous questions all the time.

There's not many moving parts in the phone so it's hard to damage the internals, but it is possible.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doesn't need to have moving parts to damage the internals. The impact can break internal components.
    It's an electronic device, not a hammer.

17. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

A drop from your waist isn't going to do damage to the internals.

18. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I wouldn't handle your iPhone carelessly if I were you, but it's not that likely in my experience. I never dropped my 4S, but I threw my iPhone 3G hard against a wall in a not-so-proud moment of iOS 4 rage, and it survived largely unscathed.

I'd bet the new thinner/metal ones are much more fragile, but you'd likely only have a cracked screen if it's a small drop onto a hard surface. Smartphones can take at least a little roughness.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes any drop could cause damage.
    Depends on the way it falls and the surface it lands.
    I like how you're making that claim as a fact.
    Keep dropping your phone and see how well it works.

20. Paco II macrumors 65816

Dropped iPhone 6 from waist high onto tile floor. Broke camera internals and had to have it fixed. Thank you Apple Care Plus.

21. irod87 macrumors regular

Fell and landed on 6 Plus a couple of weeks ago. Phone seems undamaged but later on that night noticed touch screen was not functioning properly. So to answer your question. Yes.

22. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

And, just how did you come up with those words of wisdom?????

23. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

i may or may not be an engineer at apple :rolleyes:

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Either way, that statement just doesn't hold up.

25. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Come on.....you honestly expect people to understand that any given drop can't be predictive as to damage done.

I bet 6 emojis and one snarky comment that there will be dozens of anecdotal stories of how their personal drop did or did not cause internal damage. And extrapolating their experience as meaningful across the board.