Can excessive band swapping cause damage?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Shikaka, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

I use a sport band and classic buckle on my SBSS. The classic buckle is worn during the day while I'm at work. When I get home I switch to the sport band to work out.

Just wondering if constantly swapping bands can cause damage to the watch or lugs? I notice it's getting harder to "click" the sport band into place.

2. swarlos macrumors 6502

swarlos

Not that I've heard but I did notice that with a third party link band that I purchased it was pretty annoying to put in and then after 2 months of owning the lug part broke one of the springs came out.

3. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

I doubt it. Some people switch bands 2-3 times a day or even more and we haven't really heard of any widespread problems of the lugs breaking. Not to say it can't happen but I doubt it.

4. friedmud macrumors 65816

I've changed mine everyday. Coming up on a year now without any trouble...

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Shouldn't cause excessive wear seeing as the catch is magnetic.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I currently have 11 bands and change as often as 2-3 times a day - usually twice for almost a year and never had a problem - especially with the Apple Bands. A few of my third party bands have had a little trouble releasing but the Apple bands just work flawlessly.

7. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I thought so, too, but it's not.

The bands have that little bump on one side, right? It's black on mine. The piece which locks the band into place is the silver metal piece on the other side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As it slides into the channel on the watch, it loads the springs inside the strap end, which the push the flat metal piece into a corresponding hole in the watch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Watch's push button presses against this metal piece and lets the band slide out again.

8. Planepics macrumors regular

Planepics

9. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

If you are careful inserting and removing the bands I don't see a problem. Hold the button on the case down completely when you slowly slide out the band so there's no resistance. When you are inserting your band, slide it in up to the point you start to see the middle button reach the case and then depress the upper middle button so the band slides in without catching the button and forcing it down.

You may also notice the bands slide into a channel that is slightly angled downward. You can notice this more when looking at the watch from the side. Maintain that angle when inserting and removing and that should also help.

10. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Not unless you're ripping them out. You might strip something, in that case.

11. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

My first answer is no, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. It's a spring button latch, so naturally springs (or any metal) can only take a certain amount of cycles before they fail by fatigue or plastically deform. I assume, though, that this was a design consideration and the spring will likely last multiple daily swaps for a couple years, at the minimum.

If you drive a manual, think of it like a clutch. It'll wear eventually, but how quickly is purely based on how often you use it (and how you use it).

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Just ordered the first new band for my watch from introduction day. Hope it can get through this without breaking.:confused:

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is like anything else mechanical. Apple specs to a certain MTBF rate that is probably a few thousand. However is it in the realm of possibility that it will could, yes. Is it likely, no.