Can existing 02 Contract user buy off contract 4S without incurring fees

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zarf2007, Oct 11, 2011.

1. zarf2007 macrumors regular

Hi,

I currently have a black IPhone 4 16GB which I could sell here for £260 -

http://www.o2recycle.co.uk/phoneSelected.asp?phoneID=2932

I still have 12 months to go on my O2 contract @ £36 per month.

if I buy a 16GB 4S from the apple store off contract, could you i just add £240ish to the sale of my old phone and then put my existing o2 sim in there?? so effectively I get my 4S for £240 on a 12 month contract at £36 per month?

Would O2 still charge me an upgrade fee or stop it from working?

thanks

2. cap'njack macrumors member

You can certainly buy a iPhone 4S from Apple sim free and stick you existing sim card in it from O2. I did the same thing with the iPhone 4 :)

They won't charge you an upgrade fee (as you arent upgrading your contract early) and they certainly wont stop it from working.

What you have described above is the best way of having every new iPhone...if I had the ££ then I would be doing the exact same thing :)

3. Justim macrumors 6502

I don't see how this couldn't work.

You're not signing a contract, and you already have the data plan. There's no reason why they should charge you more.

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

Thats exactly what i did last year .... i'm still running my 3GS true unlimited data contract (love simplicity 15 for £15 a month) with my iPhone 4, went through the process last summer of getting a microsim and using O2's site to transfer my contract onto the new sim without issue (only took an hour too).... i'm now about to give my iPhone4 to my wife and put my sim into a 4S

5. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Did exactly the same. Don't want to lose my unlimited Simplicity tariff, so just bought the 4 outright last year. :)

6. zarf2007 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all of the replies....now just need to find somewhere with stock......do you think the covent garden & regent street stores will be sold out on day 1?

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

They'll have the most stock of any UK store but will also have the longest queue ... either get there REALLY early (like 4am) or be prepared to gamble they haven't sold out by the time you get there