can external hard drives be used internally?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laurenceconway, Mar 27, 2012.

1. laurenceconway macrumors newbie

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is no such thing as an "early 2000s macbook pro." You will need to clarify what computer you are trying to put this drive in, but it's pretty pointless anyways. You have to take the actual drive out of the portable enclosure anyways, so why wouldn't you just buy a bare drive?

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Most likely the drive in the enclosure is SATA and an early 2000s MBP would be PATA. But you'd have to quote the exact laptop for anyone to say for sure.

4. simsaladimbamba

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you'd crack open the case, you'd probably find a regular old SATA hard drive in there. So technically yes.

But seriously, why bother? Buy a bare drive for less money on newegg, keep the external for backups and walk away a happy camper.

6. laurenceconway thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, its probably a 2006ish macbok pro...the earlyer one. hasn't there only been two?

i already have a couple of those hard drives knocking about not up to much, hense why i would want to do that.

So, once the external hardrive is released from its abode, it will be the same as replacing a hardrive specific for internal use? i have done this a couple of times with a macbook of what i assume is the same model (its the same casing ...the all silver, non unibody ones)

thanks for your help guys:)

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

if it's a 2.5" hard drive, then yes. It will most likely fit. But, modern drives have SATA connectors. Laptops from early 2000s had PATA connectors. So, they may not be compatible.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

There's been 12 in total. 2 in 2006.

9. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Be careful with external drivers. Some of them are very slow (4200 RPM) and will offer poor performance as a main drive.