can fiber optic cable connect 2 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wallace86, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Wallace86 macrumors regular

I have a last gen MBP, I had thought that I could connect a fiber optic cable to it....however, I don't see any fiber optic cable input on here. What am I missing, and what do I need to connect my MBP to my surround sound via Fiber optic cable (my regular audio jack tends to make buzzing sounds). Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you need a Toslink optical cable, not a fiber optical cable. ;)

3. Wallace86 thread starter macrumors regular

so it will still output in 5.1, and the buzzing i'm experiencing with the 3.5 jack won't be a factor? also, where is the port actually located on the MBP? like is it the one to the left of the headphone jack? thanks!

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

The jack to the left of the headphone jack is the mic input. Both jacks are optical as well so they can do optical or analog.

5. MusicallySilent macrumors member

The buzzing shouldn't be an issue, optical is literally optical. It shines a little red led down the clear internal wire, and the fast on off pulses send the stream of digital 1s and 0s.

The headphone and mic jacks like already stated do both jobs. There is a tiny switch that mini toslink cables hit in the jack, and that turns on optical mode which lights up the little LED at the end.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

You won't get 5.1 though, except when watching a dvd.

7. kousuke18 macrumors regular

8. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

ground loop issue?

you could be very well experiencing ground loop problem with the 3,5 lead. there are many ways to be rid of it but optical connections is a good way too as electricity does not pass as well between the connections.

i have used my mbp for optical to home hifi and it is great but even with the 3,5 i have had no trouble. it all depends on how you have it set up. good luck.