Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I want to do a video where I overlay data (like telemetry, SMPTE time code (running), real time heart beat monitoring, etc) over other footage. Kind of like the 'terminator view' that Arnold sees in the Terminator movies, but without the red over cast.

I'm pretty sure iMovie can't do this (expect MAYBE with a static image) but can Final Cut?

What would I use to create the second transparant video stream with all my numbers/data on it?

I hope I'm being clear what I'm trying to do.

Here is a screen shot of 'terminator vision'
http://imaginarycinema.com/images/cameron/term21.jpg

So I want a way to add the white text to an existing video, and the data showing in the white text to change and display what I wish during the video.

Thanks in advance, I don't feel I've explained this well

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Pretty sure you can do it will FCE and FCP.
I wonder if you could use Quartz composer to generate the text overlay?
(just thinking out loud)

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Not positive if you can do this right in FCP but you could just create a graphic at the same resolution with a transparent background.

psycodriver

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
To do that you should use After Effects. You just use final cut. To cut the footage, then import to after effects.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
To do that you should use After Effects. You just use final cut. To cut the footage, then import to after effects.

I don't own any of the adobe suite but that's what I was afraid of. I cam swing FCE but more than that and I'm out of luck! Doh!

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Yes.

Yes, I'm almost positive you can do this in FCE. I know that you can do it in FCP, but I have never personally used FCE.

What, exactly, do you want to overlay? Do you want to overlay video with running numbers, or something?

Maybe you are thinking too hard.. It sounds like the text generator in FC will work just fine....(If I understand what you want to do).

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Yes, I'm almost positive you can do this in FCE. I know that you can do it in FCP, but I have never personally used FCE.

What, exactly, do you want to overlay? Do you want to overlay video with running numbers, or something?

Maybe you are thinking too hard.. It sounds like the text generator in FC will work just fine....(If I understand what you want to do).

Maybe, I guess it is kind of like subtitles, but I want some more 'active' titles with numbers that are continuously changing and what not, and be able to position them precisely on the screen.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I have FCE. Haven't used it in a while.
Perhaps Text with keyframe moves. Not descibing that very well.

And look into Quartz Composer. Its free & fun and you could create a video of the funky text or what ever & overlay it in FCE. Cost is FCE and time and a few brain cells.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Generators

I am pretty sure that you can buy fairly inexpensive number-generating plug-ins for Final Cut. Maybe do a few google searches for it

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I have FCE. Haven't used it in a while.
Perhaps Text with keyframe moves. Not descibing that very well.

And look into Quartz Composer. Its free & fun and you could create a video of the funky text or what ever & overlay it in FCE. Cost is FCE and time and a few brain cells.

I'm investigating Quartz Composer. It is obviously a ridiculously powerful thing that no one knows about :) Going to dig in a little

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Here's a plugin that can do it: Decimal Counter.

You'll need the FX Factory app as well, but once you have FX Factory (free) and Decimal Counter ($35), it will show up as a plugin in FCE.

If it were me and I was feeling lazy (nothing new there...) I'd create one sequence of Terminator vision consisting of ever shifting numbers, a red overlay of 50% opacity (or whatever works) and the little focussing doohikky thing in the middle and just keep dropping the same one over the top of your Terminator footage each time. No-one will noticethat it's exactly the same - who is going to be paying attention to little numbers in the corner of the screen?

tomllama

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
CA
What you want to do is similar to what folk do to overlay data onto video from a race car (add speed, track position, throttle position, brakes, etc). You could probably do a simple adaptation of the input data to accomplish your goal. Take a look at http://www.trackvision.net/

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
So...I just bought Final Cut Pro for $630 instead.

I feel like my three year old would feel if I gave her a ferrari in parts and said 'you can have this car if you assemble it!'

Thanks everyone for the help in this thread. I'm still kicking around in Quartz Composer but I feel pretty lost.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yes you can add overlays in Final cut. It uses a stacking timeline so basically what ever is on top of the timeline is in its respected position in the video.

Richardthe4th

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
Below Sealevel
If you have bought FCS (the suite) you can use motion. It can make/compose everything you want, but there is a learning curve. It is more or less the AE from apple.

You can make an extra video track with all the effects and in FCP set the opacity to the desired level. Or try to start with live type, more easy and can also have numbers running. Perhaps more video track overlays with the different effects and render in FCP to get you going quickly

Good luck

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.