Can fingerprints shift?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Binarymix, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I set up TouchID when I received my phone in november.

It seems that in order to unlock my iPhone from week to week I have to continually start moving my thumb further up to have it recognized.

Can your prints shift slightly over a period of time?

The consensus is no, but what other explanation is there?

BTW I added another finger using the tip of my thumb, the same as before and boom, it recognizes it right away.

2. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Fingerprint patterns which the sensor detects changes due to weather especially in winter, also moist hands seem to affect that pattern. I had to do it a few times to get it working.

3. cyberbro macrumors member

cyberbro

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No, they are static over short term periods (Years).

5. blarivee macrumors 6502

Sensors can have "shifts". In general, sensors requires calibration depending on the required accuracy. Although, it is on the bad side for a sensor to drift so much every week. If it continues, you may want to take it to the Apple store since you may have a malfunctioning sensor.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I have two prints of the same thumb programmed. One using the tip of the thumb and one using the base of the thumb pad (as I sometimes take it out of my pocket using the base of my thumb pad).

If it's shifting that much it might be a defective sensor. In this case, get it swapped out.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

For me, it seems the only print that will unlock my phone EVERY TIME is my left thumb. I have never had that one fail yo unlock my phone, even in cold weather. Maybe because I am right handed and the left thumb gets used the least so it doesn't get affected by anything much at all.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Or you have less dexterity in your left hand (common with right-handed people) and hit the home button more squarely with your left thumb.