Can Fireworks CS4 be used for print graphics?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chiefroastbeef, Apr 28, 2009.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I have been using fireworks 8 for web graphics, and I was wondering if FW cs4 can be used for print graphics? With my understanding from this site, the older FW programs aren't suitable for print:

http://www.fireworkszone.com/page-2-0-117.html

I am contemplating upgrading to FW CS4, but just wondering if I'll need illustrator or something for simple stuff like designing my business card.

Thanks!

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi there,

Here is a thread which talks the subject of Best program to design a business card/letterhead in? to death - so feel free to have a good read :)

But if your not worried about best practice, and aren't getting them printed professionally (Fireworks 8 doesn't seem to offer a CMYK colour space, see below*), then Fireworks 8 should be fine, as longs you set it to the right size and print resolution (example attached).

Cheers,

/Doug

*From the Fireworks 8 help files:

Though Freehand has now been replaced with Freehand since Macromedia was acquired by Adobe.

Attached Files:

3. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello design-is,

Thank you so much for the input! That is exactly what I'm looking for, I appreciate it very very much.

Does Fireworks CS4 support CMKY colour space?

I searched and read the business card thread you posted, it helped a bit, but I quickly became furious at the comments of the "designers," I have never heard such arrogance, self-righteousness from a person's mouth, including millionaires and billionaires I've come to personally know in the past.

Thanks for your help, I will give it a try!

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

No problem - happy to help!

Yes, the design forum is a bit more arrogant than this one ... I should have warned you - sorry about that lol

I'll look into the CS4 CMYK issue and get back to you :)

/Doug

-EDIT-

It looks as though Fireworks CS4 does recognise CMYK colour values via its colour palette, but without access to the software, I can't vouch for whether or not it can use a CMYK colour space.

Source

It looks as though it only deals in RGB still:

Source

In conclusion, I don't think Fireworks will ever be a good piece of software for professional print design. Adobe has Photoshop, InDesign & Illustrator for that.