Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I wiped my iPhone down with a micro fibre cleaning cloth and noticed loads of glitter on the cloth, is glitter hard enough to scratch an iPhone? Thanks

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wiped my iPhone down with a micro fibre cleaning cloth and noticed loads of glitter on the cloth, is glitter hard enough to scratch an iPhone? Thanks

It depends. Glitter includes aluminum foil as part of the ingredient that makes up its composition, if the glitter was on the cloth, it could scratch the display. But it probably depends how hard you were rubbing and how much glitter was actually on the cloth.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
It depends. Glitter includes aluminum foil as part of the ingredient that makes up its composition, if the glitter was on the cloth, it could scratch the display. But it probably depends how hard you were rubbing and how much glitter was actually on the cloth.

Thanks for your reply, the specs of glitter were tiny and I think they were all over the cloth, not sure how they got on there. Thanks

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
This thread sure is going in circles, isn't it

If it doesn't look scratched, then that's great. If you're worried, stop using the glittery cloths and pick up some regular ones for peace of mind.

Reactions: Bethanie21

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well I can’t see any but I’m just asking is it possible for glitter to scratch
Sounds like it's possible, although unlikely, and sounds like it didn't happen in this case. Seems like that's really all there's to it.

Last edited:

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
It wouldn't really matter if you used a screen protector...but apparently from your last thread you are worried about a screen protector harming your phone too. Perhaps you should buy a vacuum enclosure for it and never remove it from there. Only use gloves to interact with the phone. It's the only way you'll be able to use it without worrying. Another option would be seeking help from a therapist.

• Haha
Reactions: Bethanie21

Dessie P. Krok

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
It depends on how you wipe the screen but this was not problematic if you are using a screen guard. Sometimes glitter includes aluminum foil and tin compositions there, and if they were on the cloth some time it may harm the iPhone.But as the particles are very tiny this will not harmful. It is better to buy a vacuum enclosure and a new microfiber cloth without glitter.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
In regards to an earlier response, glass is harder then Aluminium, therefore Aluminium can’t scratch glass.

No regular or common material used for glitter I can think off would scratch glass.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In regards to an earlier response, glass is harder then Aluminium, therefore Aluminium can’t scratch glass..

This isn’t accurate for two reasons:

1.) Aluminum can actually scratch the Oleophobic coating, which isn’t a display, but can be conflated for those who don’t know that it includes coating.

2.) So you’re insinuating if I take an aluminum can shard, attempt to scratch the display with it, it _won’t_ scratch? That’s a fallacy, aluminum will/can scratch an iPhone display, period.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London

1.) Aluminum can actually scratch the Oleophobic coating, which isn’t a display, but can be conflated for those who don’t know that it includes coating.

2.) So you’re insinuating if I take an aluminum can shard, attempt to scratch the display with it, it _won’t_ scratch? That’s a fallacy, aluminum will/can scratch an iPhone display, period.

Aluminium is apparently around 2.75 on the Mohs scale, but I agree that if you take a sharp edge it would scratch the screen.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines

The poster that you quoted clearly, very clearly, said it won’t scratch “GLASS”, and it won’t, even the “sharp edge” won’t. The coating on the glass doesn’t matter. Just pop on another glass screen protector if the current one looses it’s costing.
btw, keys and coins also won’t scratch the glass. Now the grit on them may.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019

1.) I was talking about the glass, not the coating which goes away with time anyway. Far quicker then you’d think.

2.) NO it will not. It factually can’t according the laws of physics. It’s a far softer material then glass. Cut open a can and attack any glass with it, it won’t do a thing.

The only way aluminium damages glass is with sheer force, such as throwing a can filled with beans at it but that is not the material just the sheer impact.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Anything can scratch iPhone... and yes, I'm serious. Have given up all hope of keeping an iPhone scratch free.

Just accept and move on.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
In regards to an earlier response, glass is harder then Aluminium, therefore Aluminium can’t scratch glass.

No regular or common material used for glitter I can think off would scratch glass.
Might scratch the coating though. Something to worry about.
[automerge]1574436586[/automerge]
Anything can scratch iPhone... and yes, I'm serious. Have given up all hope of keeping an iPhone scratch free.

Just accept and move on.
When you first get phone, put a scratch on it. I do it with new cars, chuck a stone at it, chip paint. No more worries about when it will happen. Great piece of mind knowing first chip or scratch is over with.

Reactions: Wide opeN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.