Can Google maps be used within an app instead of Apple maps?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by v2club, Aug 21, 2013.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I have noticed that many transport apps, ATM apps etc. were previously using information from Google maps and now the same apps are using the data from Apple maps. Is it done automatically with old apps, is it Apple that requires only its maps API to be used and no longer making an app and using Goole API for the maps is an option or the developers themselves have decided to use Apple maps instead of Goole maps?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They were probably using MapKit (and MKMapView) which used to be Google-based but now is Apple-based. That way an app running under iOS 6 uses Apple maps but if it's running under iOS 5 or less, still uses Google maps.

3. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

So the developers now have a choice to use either Google maps or Apple maps for the development of their apps?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Not if they're using MapKit. And if they're not, there are plenty of choices, besides Google.

5. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

Is it more complicated/difficult to make an app not using Map Kit?

6. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

It is MUCH more complex and difficult.

Apple's Mapkit is tightly integrated with Cocoa touch. The third party map APIs are not nearly as easy to use.

I read up on mapping APIs before Apple released the map kit. There is at least one third party Cocoa Touch map framework, but expect to spend many weeks figuring it out.

The one I looked at was "Route me" (Available on github at https://github.com/route-me/route-me). I just checked and it looks like it hasn't been updated for about 10 months. On the plus side, somebody posted an OS 6 fix. It's a good sign that there is a fix for the most current released OS, but expect problems with iOS 7.)

7. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

With all this in mind - it's just far easier to use MapKit instead - also Apple maps are getting much better

8. Judith123 macrumors member

I use Apple Maps, because I think it may be suitable for me. I'm not a professional one, so I choose a one easy to use. ;)