Can GSM buzz be a dealbreaker??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jena55, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jena55 macrumors member

My office is loaded with crappy speakers and phone equipment apparently. I had an iphone in there once and everything was popping like crazy. i could barely talk on my office phone it was so distracting. Is there anything to do to really fix this problem?? Even when I set the phone away from the electronics the popping continued. I really want an iphone but unless there is something i can really do about this I am thinking this could be a major problem. I mean, it is bad enough in my office.. but how about when i walk in coworkers offices (who all have the same office phones and speakers as me) and everything starts popping. Is there a case that can help with this problem??? I have read about the aluminum foil trick and all but I am interested to hear from some of you how you handle this and if it is much of a problem.

Oh- as of now, the town in which i work does not have 3g- so i would be on edge at work. Also- i am on verizon now so don't deal with GSM buzz at all with my current phone.

Thanks,
    Jena

2. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I have had a few encounters now where I am servicing at someone office and the person at the desk nearest me asks if I can turn off my phone, it's bugging him he can't hear. Turns out the entire office is full of crappy headsets they all use.

It's a bummer when cell phones do this, tbh any phone you have would make the same buzz as the iPhone does.

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I notice the buzzing only when my phone roams on EDGE. On 3G I have no buzzing at all.

A magnet (ferrite core) could solve your phone's buzzing.

4. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The speakers and headphones are not shielded right for cellular interferance, nothing you can really do about it...

5. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

That's not entirely true. Only gsm phones interfere with speakers and headsets. CDMA phones do not interfere with speakers like that. I work in an office full of blackberry users on gsm, and I had to turn off my computer speakers due to all of the noise (especially when their phones rang!)

I have a CDMA based blackberry, and it produces zero interference with the othe electronics in the office.

Like the OP said, I beleive this is an EDGE only concern and is not an issue with 3G as it is essentially an improved version of CDMA.

6. badboy600 macrumors member

Back in the edge days I had to keep my iphone in my backpack under my desk to stop the buzz

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oh CDMA and 3G both produce interference just it is going to be out side of human hearing range. The buzz we here with GSM is because it operates at a frequency that will cause speakers to buzz in our hearing range.

As for ways to avoid it is to get better speakers where their power amps are shielded.