Can HDMI adapter also connect supported USB device?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZZ Bottom, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Regarding this adapter: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098ZM/A

Would it be possible to connect a USB keyboard through the 30-pin connection? I know I probably wont find someone who knows without a doubt; but based on existing functionality of the 30-pin connector is it possible?

In other words, has anyone "created" their own CCK by modifying a standard 30-pin cable?

In case you're wondering (and I'm sure you are), I am looking to connect my jailbroken iP4 to a Motorola Lapdock for mirroring. I already have the adapter to connect a standard HDMI to the Lapdock's micro-HDMI female. Therefore if I am able to also connect from the 30-pin to the micro-USB input (with 5v removed) I could gain functionality of the built in keyboard. The Lapdock's built in keyboard acts as a USB keyboard by default.

The whole setup is going to be mostly for proof of concept and to hopefully replace my netbook. BTW I have a host of Cydia apps that would compliment the arrangement; i.e. displayout, btstack mouse, touchpose, activator, etc..

2. iDock macrumors newbie

Hi ZZ, I just registered on macrumers to let you know that you're not the only one out there trying to make this iphone lapdock idea work.

I too would like to replace my netbook with my iphone 4, and the Motorola Lapdock here. I'd love an answer to your question, if anyone out there can test the setup.
    The lapdock has great build quality and a nice 720p screen, but what do you do for that odd female usb cable... since it's a male connector micro-usb.

Another interesting challenge is iOS compatibility. HDMI + USB host adapters are all over ebay etc. yet since ios5 the usb-kit won't connect to a keyboard except on the ipad. Has Cydia fixed apple's grumpy discontinuation of this ability and also their limiting of hdmi-mirroring to the 4s & ipad2/2s. And can they re-enable mirroring on 5.1? If the drivers are out there I'd love to know.
    I like your btstack-mouse idea. Is audio over hdmi functioning?

Since the lapdock has 768 lines of vertical resolution, it would be really sweet to force it to run ipad apps and at the native resolution of 1024x768. think!, a perfect little netbook with iWork & everything :)

3. iDock macrumors newbie

I know that was a long post above but I'd like to hear your opinion of this idea;
    to use the Rasberri Pi
    [ a business card sized, usb powered, low voltage, HDMI-compatible, ARM linux pc that costs $35]
    and its ability to do airplay-mirroring (like the appleTV) to let the iphone connect wirelessly from your pocket.

Not only should the lapdock be able to power the Rasberri Pi board from its battery, since it works as with the standard mouse and keyboard from the lapdock (with a micro-usb-female to usb-male cable) it could hopefully share the mouse and keyboard input with the iphone via cydia magic =D

Wouldn't that be slick.