Can HDMI on rMBP Receive an Image?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SiskoKid, Jun 24, 2012.

1. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Not that I would, but out of curiosity I'm wondering if you can plug an HDMI device into the rMBP computer and use its monitor.

For example, could you plug in an Xbox 360 or an Apple TV to the rMBP and use its display? Obviously none output in that high of a resolution, but just curious.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Nope. You would need to buy some sort of TV tuner to do that.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

HDMI ports are extremely common on computers (until now, only the Mac Mini in the Apple world) and in no case is it an input port.

4. SiskoKid thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I figured.

Thanks for the responses :D

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's going a bit too far. There are HDMI capture cards. Your statement is virtually always correct for built-in HDMI ports (I can't think of a single instance where it isn't) but you can't say that all HDMI ports on a computer are output only.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's not going too far. No one was referring to HDMI capture cards and I certainly CAN say all HDMI ports on a computer are output only because capture cards are add-ons. Computers don't come with them.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I didn't realize you were defining ports as OEM only. If, for example, you install a capture card on a Mac Pro, you've added ports to it since it's internal.

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

just stop.

9. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Alienware M17x and M18x have HDMI inputs built-in, no capture card add-on necessary. So there's at least two laptops out there currently.

10. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

My camera (Nikon D800) has HDMI out. It's not a stupid question to wonder if the HDMI port of your new laptop can receive signals. Some of you are jumping on the OP hard.

11. mobiousblack macrumors member

I was just about to mention those, well done owning him with facts :)