Can heat damageing me MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaulChowHK, Sep 28, 2012.

1. PaulChowHK macrumors regular

I leaving my MacBook pro in car and in Chanina sun very strong. Can this damaging my computer?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While it may not hurt it, I wouldn't leave it in direct sunlight (or in view where a thief could take it). Put it in the trunk.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If it gets over a certain threshold (like 130˚ Celsius) it could have detrimental effects on the battery.

4. Cassadian macrumors regular

I don't know about you. But any place where the sun would cause heat of 130 degrees Celsius is pretty much death. I would worry more about your life than the laptop rofl.

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It can get surprisingly hot in a locked car in direct sun. Not that hot by any means, but it can get well above boiling. It can easily get 90˚ plus (Celsius) in a car in around 35 degree outside temperature. That in itself isn't good for the laptop.
    I was just using the worst case scenario. At 130˚, the battery would pretty much explode. I'm guessing the OP is from Hong Kong (based on username) and I'm not sure how hot it gets there.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I lived and worked in Shenzhen for several years, and i would not take the risk on a clear day the sunlight is too strong and the temperature inside the car may at very least affect the batteries runtime at worst it may explode.

I saw first hand the result of a cell phone exploding due to being left on the dash of a Toyota LandCruiser in Saudi, it literally destroyed the interior of the vehicle, spot of explaining to the boss eh :p In all seriousness a MBP has a lot more battery than a cell phone, I certainly don't leave mine in the passenger compartment here in Malaysia, for a limited time the boot/trunk should be ok as the temperature wont be amplified by the sunlight.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

if once in a while, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over. Long term regular, I say don't.

I notice car stereos degrade over time. Gonna blame on vibration and temp extremes.

That's for the electronics.

LCD screen - they don't like heat.

Plastics - Oy, certain trims may warp.

I once left a DDM (digital voltmeter) in the trunk, so OK it was a made-in-China cheap plastic variety and when I returned the thing melted like in certain cartoons! and this is *only* California, not Arizona.

my 0.02