Can heat from exhaust damage screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a_e_RT, Sep 2, 2016.

1. a_e_RT macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I recently bought a refurbished mbp 13 (2015) and I'm concerned about the heat from the exhaust being so close to the lower right of my screen.

I used to have a white macbook around 10 years ago and I remember the lower part of the screen where the heat would escape that faint white lines appeared on the screen, distorting the image at that particular area

I don't know if that was because of the heat or just wear and tear (although I was really careful with it), and I know that after a decade material technology has most probably improved by leaps and bounds

But for long term macbook pro retina users, how are the bottom of your screens holding up? Especially those areas near the exhaust?

Because I'd like to be able to use this mac anywhere anytime with confidence, but if it will eventually end up damaging my screen then I guess I'll take extra pains to have a fan nearby when I do heavy workloads and stuff

And on a somewhat kinda but not really tangential note, are macbook pro 13s really bad at gaming? I mean I tried playing prison architect which is (as far as I can tell) all 2 dimensional and my temps go up to high 80s - low 90s!

2. geachy92 macrumors regular

Can't answer your questions regarding the fans onto the screen, but in relation to your last paragraph, I just got the base 13" 2015 and have been playing Cities:Skylines at low settings in a 1440x900 resolution and it runs fine. The fans are turned on full but it doesn't stutter and I know it's a relatively demanding game.

I wouldn't worry if it reaches higher temperatures, because it has integrated graphics it will always have to work hard to play games, even basic ones. As long as it plays it smoothly you'll be fine.

Out of interest, you say the temps get high, but does it have the fans on full throttle the whole time?

3. a_e_RT thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know what you mean by full throttle but according to istat it hovers at around 3k-4k rpm (or maybe 4k-5k) and my cpu temps were up to high 80s. But I was also using a triple fan notebook cooler AND I had a desk fan facing blowing at the laptop from the side to throw the hot air away from the screen

Id understand if Cities Skylines would bring the temps up coz thats a heavy 3d game. But prison architect?

4. geachy92 macrumors regular

Well Cities brings it up to 6200rpm (AKA full throttle). As I said, it's an iGPU, any game is going to cause it to run hot and therefore turn the fans on.

5. Patcell macrumors 6502

In my experience Apple is very conservative when it comes to spooling up the fans in Macs. The fans don't even start to kick in past idle on my 2014 15" until my CPU temps are in the 80's, to say nothing of full throttle. My advice (and Apple's official advice) is not to worry much about CPU temps; they have internal protection mechanisms that will throttle and/or shut them down when they reach a temp limit. For recent Intel CPUs the t-jumction (max allowed temp on the CPU die) is 100 C.

With respect the display being harmed, I wouldn't give too much thought to that either. These machines are designed well, and if the exhaust would harm the display in any appreciable way it would be all over these forums. Also, my 2014 15" spends much of the day everyday connected to an external 4k monitor with the computer in closed/ clamshell mode, and I have never had an issue with the temperatures harming the display. And my CPU easily hits 95C when rendering video.

6. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I can confirm that Prison Architect runs hot like crazy (uncapped fps maybe?), probably the developer doesn't care about us laptop owners.

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

I have this same concern. I use my rMBP 15 for machine learning. Often when training models it will run 20 minutes with the fans going wide open because of the CPU load (100%). If the display is open you can feel hot air shooting up onto the display. The bottom of the display gets quite hot.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never even considered this as an issue.

My old 2009 13" MBP and my sisters 2012 13" MBP seem to be fine and they run hot too.