All iPads Can heavy gaming damage Ipad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Radon87000, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Radon87000 macrumors 601

Yesterday I had a marathon gaming session of Real Racing 3 on my Air 2 for 3-4 hrs and it seems that the game is slightly stuttery today especially in the race introduction where it judders(more like slight pauses in between).Was my iPad internals damaged? because I dont recall it stuttering when I bought it a week ago

2. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Stuttering is probably from thermal throttling. Most devices these days have thermal protection so it's unlikely to damage a device from the heat produced from gaming.

3. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Did you do a full power off since the heavy gaming? If not, try that.

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Apple has a built-in failsafe to protect against this. If the heat becomes too high then the screen will display a temperature warning and indicate that the device is shutting down until the temperature drops to an acceptable range. Of note, I've only ever seen that screen on my older (black) iPhones, using them as a GPS, mounted on the dashboard, during sunny summer days. Gaming, even heavy gaming, never earned me the thermal warning.

If the game is very intensive, then as suggested above, reboot the device to restore performance. I can't say why it happens, because the device is supposed to close apps properly and clear memory, but I know that I had occasions when playing Infinity Blade III where I'd have to reboot here and there to restore performance and prevent glitches.