HomePod Can HomePod start playing music upon arrival at home?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by chfilm, Jun 17, 2018.

1. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

The title says it all, I was wondering if this is possible to set up now with AirPlay 2, as I was reading before that HomePod cant be assigned a trigger like turn off music or so when leaving home.

The main reason why I|d love one to complement my Sonos system would be so that it automatically starts a playlist when I arrive at home in all rooms. is this possible or not?

2. Eduardo75890 macrumors regular

Eduardo75890

Yeah its possible before you arrive home you can go to the home app and tap on your homepod to start playing what song you were listening to before you left. It's possible since the Homepod is always connected to your wifi and it would work if you have Apple Music

3. StumpyBloke macrumors 65816

StumpyBloke

No, that’s not what he’s asking. He wants to know if it can start automatically, using Geofencing and automations. I would be interested to know if it can be done too.

4. gildorn macrumors newbie

As of iOS 11.4, HomePod does not appear as a device that can be controlled as a result of an automation trigger.

I was hoping to have it pause when everyone leaves home, but it's not a listed device in automation creation.

5. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

I got mine today and saw this for myself. WTF apple?? Seriously?

I thought that was the whole point of having an always online, apple branded AirPlay 2 speaker at home, that it shows up as a speaker in HomeKit and can be assigned to scenes!

This needs to be updated. I thought it was a matter of airplay2 support, but since it’s there in iOS 11.4, why does it still not work?

6. Nimoy macrumors regular

Nimoy

It's a shame this feature (along with integrating HomePod into HomeKit Scenes) is not available. As far as I know, Apple hasn't made reference to this being on the road map; however, you have to think that it's coming eventually because it's such a no-brainer.

7. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

Absolutely- I would’ve never expected this feature to be missing. I wouldn’t even consider it a feature, really like you said it’s a no brainer. It’s a home kit enabled speaker from Apple.
    What’s the point of home kit if your speakers are not “smart”!?
    I don’t know if it’s to be considered as “not on the roadmap” or if this is an iOS 12 thing maybe?
    Has anybody on the beta tried it out? I sent feedback to Apple immediately.

I wonder if Sonos gets AirPlay 2 support- they should be able to do this, but it would be so ridiculous to be able to Involve 3rd party speakers but not the official Apple one...

8. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

I'm willing to bet you will able to do this with Siri shortcuts later in iOS 12. Part of me wants to believe Siri shortcuts will not be limited to just Siri commands and can instead be activated upon other events such as GPS location, time of day, etc.

9. BlankStar macrumors 6502a

BlankStar

I was hoping to see these features appear in iOS 12, but nothing so far. Must say that there is no iOS 12 beta for the HomePods themself (they're still on 11.4) so I'm still hoping...

Can't understand these aren't basic features...

Stuff I'd use in scenes and automations (if they were possible of course);
    - music starts playing when I come home
    - music stops playing when everyone leaves home
    - music stops playing everywhere but the bedroom when I say "Hey Siri, good night". The bedroom would start playing a rain-playlist at a low volume level and stop after 30 minutes
    - When an alarm is set, the HomePod would start playing a certain playlist at really low volume and slowly going louder. Together with a Philips Hue light that slowly starts to shine brighter.
    - "hey Siri, it's movie time": all lights go out, Apple TV turns on and HomePods are connected to the ATV

10. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

Plus one for alllll these things. Especially mind blowing that you need right now two different commands for music and light control cause HomePod can’t be in a scene with lights, and that it can’t fade out or fade up a playlist over a certain time to wake you or accompany you falling asleep.