Can I access a Word document on a Parallels virtual machine, and edit it using Office for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jaybar, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

I am considering Parallels so that I can run a Windows 10 virtual machine. My virtual machine will contain some work related MS Word documents. Can I access and edit these MS Word documents using Office for the Mac 2011 or do I need to purchase Office 2016 for Windows and install it on my Virtual machine? I already gave Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks

2. techguy69 macrumors regular

techguy69

Having Office on Mac should be sufficient to open and edit as Parallels should remap Word docs opened on Windows to instead open on Office for Mac.

3. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

4. techguy69 macrumors regular

techguy69

It should do this automatically if you select "Express Installation" right before the virtual machine is created if starting from scratch. Or you can also use an existing Boot Camp installation as the virtual machine, but you need to click "Parallels Tools" in one of the tabs on OS X after it's set up and start installation.