Can I access my iphoto library stored on an external HD through ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jodea23, Oct 24, 2013.

1. jodea23 macrumors newbie

I recently relocated my iPhoto library from my iMac's HD to my new 3 TB Air Port Extreme Time Capsule because I was running out of space on the computer...only 320 GB of memory and the photo library just went over 220 GB.

I used to be able to view all of my photos through my Apple TV, but since I moved the library to the external HD, the photos don't show up anymore. Is there some way to set it up so I can get it all working like it used to without having to put the library back on the computer itself?

2. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

As far as I know (and I'm no expert) you cannot connect an external HD directly to Apple TV unfortunately. For some bizarre reason Apple have chosen not to support the internationally recognized standard known as DLNA to stream video, photos, and music from external peripherals. If you have an iPad or iPhone you can use an app (such as Media Connect) to access DLNA peripherals such as an external HD, and then Airplay it to the AppleTV. This works fine but does of course require an iPad or iPhone to work. Alternatively you have to leave your Mac or PC switched on and running iTunes.

3. jodea23 thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue is I have left my iMac running iTunes like I always have, but it won't let me select the library now that its stored on the external hard drive.

Last night, I opened iTunes, clicked the option to select pictures to share, checked the iphoto box, but wasn't able to select the iphoto library, even though I could see the faded out iphoto library icon.

4. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

I access my iphoto library on my ATV2 all the time, and the library has been on an external hard drive for over a year.

So yes, it should be possible.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Can you open rhe library with iPhoto?
    Try to open iPhoto while holding the ALT key, so you can point your iPhoto to the new path to relocated library.
    I guess iTunes looks into iPhoto configuration files to locate the library so you must update them as described above.