Can I activate iPhone 4 Canada unlocked in US

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by k2dragon, Aug 18, 2010.

1. k2dragon macrumors member

Will US ITUNES let me activate it? will I have any issues?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its officially unlocked from Canada then you can activate with any itunes account and with any simcard.

3. k2dragon thread starter macrumors member

What if I have a issue such as manufacture defects, will US store replace it with unlocked version?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I believe so.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I doubt a US store will service it. I'm pretty sure Apple's warranty is not international. I could be wrong, but you'll probably have to get it serviced in Canada.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I believe they changed it latelly and can be serviced internationally.
    I heard once they punch in the serial of your old iphone and then replace it into their system with a refurb the new phone they're giving you will also carry the same properties as the one you turned in.
    If its officially unlocked then the replacement will also be the same, if its locked to AT&T or to Vodafone for example the replacement will also be locked the same.

7. aznpride macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip, didnt know about this either

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I just heard about it a month ago.
    Someone exchanged their faulty US AT&T iphone in the UK and his refurb was also locked to AT&T and wouldnt work with any other sims.
    Another person from Italy got their iphone replaced at a US Apple store and the refurb unit they received was also factory unlocked. So I think the system is in place and everything tied into a larger database of iphone serials associated with unlocked and locked carrier devices.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

From the iPhone 4 warranty.
    http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/iPhone_4_warranty.pdf

I'm not saying you are wrong because clearly they leave wiggle room with the "may". I've always heard of them not servicing products outside of the original country. They easily could have changed that policy recently. I guess the point is that if they refuse service, you probably don't have a leg to stand on and won't get your phone fixed. If they do fix it, then good for Apple in recognizing that the worlds gets smaller all the time.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, thats what I thought for years now too.
    But from what I heard from members lately they seem to have made some changes on servicing iphones abroad.
    But I dont have any first hand experience yet.

11. Kainz15 macrumors newbie

Am I missing something incredibly easy here? I have both AT&T micro SIM cards (2 of them actually), and an iwireless SIM that I trimmed to a micro SIM (it works correctly), and I recently bought a unlocked Canadian iPhone 4, and when I connect it to iTunes (it makes me do this before I can even see the home screen) to activate it with any of my SIM's in, it says "The SIM card inserted into this phone does not seem to be supported." What am I missing? Any tips on what I can do to get this to work? Obviously I spent a pretty penny getting a unlocked phone from an Apple Store in Canada, and they even assured me in store it would work. Any help please!??! Thanks!

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like something is not right.
    If it trully is a factory unlocked iphone it would never give you a message like sim card not supported.

13. Kainz15 macrumors newbie

Do you have any ideas what the problem is then? I have never used a factory unlocked iPhone before, so where in the process am I getting screwed up/over? If it was truly factory unlocked, would I even have to connect it to iTunes to get it "activated" once I first turn it on? Or should the phone just work the second I put the SIM card in? The phone has never been used before, so just as all Apple devices, it requires a connection to iTunes right away. I've tried it with both AT&T sims, the iwireless sim, no sim at all, and I get a message about it needing a different sim. I've updated the iPhone firmware to 4.1 by putting it in restore mode and pointing iTunes to the 4.1 restore .ipsw and I've updated to the latest version of iTunes. This is really frustrating, I don't even have iPod capabilities, all I have is an expensive "connect to iTunes" paperweight.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it was factory unlocked it would activate with any simcard once plugged in and connected to itunes. So the AT&T sims would also do the trick, even any old inactive sim would get you passed that connect to itunes logo and into the homescreen.
    Sounds like someone messed up and gave you a carrier locked iphone. You said you got it from an Apple store in Canada?
    The receipt should indicate that its bought full price and carrier unlocked or something to that effect.
    I'd contact Apple and see if they can straighten it out. It would really suck if you have to bring it all the way back to Canada again to have it replaced if you live in the US. :D