Can I add 2 8800GT on my Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Leslie.Hon, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Leslie.Hon macrumors member

I am using 7300GT and 8800GT on my 2.66 mac pro
    But my mac can't enable OpenGL on Photoshop. (Because 7300GT not support Open GL?)
    Can I buy one more 8800GT to replace 7300GT? Than have 2 8800GT on my Mac.
    Need to add one more PSU? or just use another 6 pins power on Logic Board?
    Thank you.:D

Attached Files:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

PSU means power supply (unit). Basically you're asking if you should add another 1,200 watts. No.

Yes, you can have two. Yes, you only need to plug in the second power cord. No, you can't SLI them.:rolleyes:

Also, if you only have one monitor, the second card is absolutely useless. Just saying.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I was going to do this very thing, and so I had planned to buy the second card early (I have my monitors and a BD/HD DVD drive already), but I'm glad that I didn't. Waiting for Nehalem will bring better cards and the 8800 GT would have just been sitting here out of date.

Incidentally, did you know that OS X recognizes BD media upon insertion? I haven't tried an HD DVD yet, but OS X knows when there are Blu-ray disks connected.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Seems like we're now standing in the same boat... I'm waiting for the Nehalem update too, having just sold my three month old MacPro. Nowt wrong with it, just felt like I should get a new system instead of shipping it to the other side of the globe.

I don't use my BD for movies or any other media, it's purely used for backups, 50GB disks are so damn cheap here! Pack of 5 for a little over 5000yen... Looks like I can't try it till the new Mac comes...

**waits**