Can I add a bookmark to the dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HarryKeogh, Dec 6, 2008.

1. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Newbie question, I'm sure but cut me some slack :D

Can I add a bookmark from Safari or Firefox to the dock or desktop? (sort of like the way you could add a link to a webpage on the iPhone's main screen)

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you actually try it :)p) you would find that you can.

Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks -> Drag the bookmark that you want to the dock.

However, you can't add them to the left-hand side where the Application icons are, only to the right-hand side near the Trash.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You should just be able to drag the address from the Safari address bar to the desktop or right side of the dock

4. HarryKeogh thread starter macrumors 6502a

That answers that. :) I was dragging them to the applications section of the dock earlier which is why it wasn't working (obviously). Thanks for the info on how to do it properly.

Is there anyway to have the website's icon on the dock instead of the springy "at" symbol?

5. neven macrumors 6502a

Re: website icon in Dock

There's no way to do it easily... But you wouldn't want to, anyway; favicons (those little icons in the address bar and in bookmarks) are 16 x 16 px; they look pretty horrendous scaled up in any normal Dock.

A perhaps obvious tip on how to change the icon of any OS X app or file - right-click the file whose icon you want to change, go to Get Info. Then right-click the file whose icon you wish to use, and get its info. You can then click the icon in the top-left corner of the Info window (it will get a blue glow) and copy it (Edit>Copy or Command-C) and paste it the same way onto the Info window of the file whose icon you're trying to replace.

6. HarryKeogh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, Neven. I imagine it would look pretty awful scaled up.