Can I add a iPhone 6 to my current Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Quixotic3, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Quixotic3 macrumors newbie

I have an old verizon iPhone 4 that has the grandfathered unlimited data plan... can I buy a iPhone 6 outright and add it to my plan ( I think another line was $10) and use the unlimited data on both phones?

2. maliu macrumors 6502a

No the unlimited is tied to the line is is currently on. You can add the phone and swap phones. Then you'd have one on unlimited, the 6, and one on a regular data plan.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There was some sort of loophole where you could add unlimited data to additional lines when starting a new line. But you still have to pay the unlimited data per line. Unsure if they closed it or what, but there was an ongoing thread about it.

4. maliu macrumors 6502a

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

The unlimited plan is tied to the SIM card. Not the phone. Buy the phone outright, replace the SIM card that has the unlimited data acct and you are good to go. I have done this many times.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    If you have one unlimited data line you can keep it but you cannot add another line with also unlimited.
    Any lines you add will be on tiered data plans currently available.

7. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Somehow I was able to get around losing unlimited on Verizon. I preordered the 6 Plus the morning preorders opened and the new plan was for something other than unlimited. Whenever the phone came in, I turned off my old iPhone, put in my old sim card and it activated my six plus and I still have unlimited so far.

8. Quixotic3 thread starter macrumors newbie

So since I want to have 2 iPhone 6 plus phones on the account I can buy 2 phones outright add one line and switch the sim from the iPhone 4 and that is it? I would then have 1 phone on unlimited and one on what ever the gig plan I get and they would share voice minutes. So if I what is my expected bill for this? I currently pay $29 for the unlimited data plus $59 for 950 minutes (which is enough for both of us) so I would add $10 for the shared line and another how much for 2gb of data?

9. whyflyguy, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

whyflyguy macrumors newbie

Huh?? Youre confusing yourself and us.

10. reverberlayed macrumors regular

iPhones have SIM cards.

11. whyflyguy macrumors newbie

Just buy the phone for retail and "switch" devices in VZW website.

12. reverberlayed macrumors regular

It used to be $30 for 2GB data. I don't know if it still is.