Can I add a second CPU to my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by simon lefisch, Aug 16, 2017.

1. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a mid-2012 3.2GHz quad-core Mac Pro (MD772LL/A) for $500 from a buddy of mine at work and was wondering, is there any way to add a second CPU so it becomes a dual CPU machine?

I'm going to set it up as a server and I'm sure the CPU will work for what I want but if I can beef it up any more, I will. If I can't add a second CPU, can I maybe upgrade the current one with say a 6 or 8-core CPU?

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Quick answer, yes but not worth. Because you need to buy a dual processor CPU tray as well, which is expensive. And you better sell your current Mac and buy a dual processor model directly.

Also, you can't upgrade a single processor cMP to 8 cores, this option simply not exist.

The best you can get is a Hex core 3.46GHz Xeon. We generally recommend W3680, W3690, X5680, X5690 on a Hex core system. Usually, just go for the cheapest one you can get. However, if you need 64GB RAM on your single processor cMP, then only the X56xx CPU will work.

3. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I'd be fine with a 6-core CPU. As far as RAM, it currently has 12GB so not too worried about that since I can upgrade RAM at any time. I'll look at the Hex-core CPUs. Many thanks for the recommendation.

This is my first Mac Pro (I have a MBP) so wasn't sure what the upgrade options were for the CPU. Thanks again!

4. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

5. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

Yeah but it would be much cheaper to go to a 6 core cpu

6. simon lefisch thread starter macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I already purchased a hex-core (X5690). I would eventually like to go to a 12-core, or maybe take that money and put it towards new hardware and install CentOS.

That's not a bad price. I would replace the CPUs with dual X5690's. Thanks for the link