Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
The only benefit I can see, so far, over the Mac Studio, is the PCIe slots. I know I can't upgrade the RAM later. I can't find any information about internal hard drives. Has anyone seen any confirmation that you can or can't add hard drives internally, later on?

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
The motherboard has the same SATA and power ports on it as the 2019 motherboard does; look at the upper half, towards the center/right side of the mobo. You'll need a 3rd party rack to install the drives on physically. And since it appears as thought this is the same chassis as the 2019, I imagine the spots to secure that rack are in place.

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
The motherboard has the same SATA and power ports on it as the 2019 motherboard does; look at the upper half, towards the center/right side of the mobo. You'll need a 3rd party rack to install the drives on physically. And since it appears as thought this is the same chassis as the 2019, I imagine the spots to secure that rack are in place.
Where do I see this picture?

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Forgive me, I'm still on a 2009 Mac Pro, so I'm not familiar with the 2019 physical architecture. Are the two slots marked "1" and "2" SATA slots? So there's room for 2 extra hard drives?

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
Two extra hard drives. Uncertain if the plugs are marked, and you will need a specific power adapter that the accessory kit comes with.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Thank you guys so much for the help, really. This is all new to me (obviously) since I'm on a 14-year-old desktop. My main concern is storage - massive media files, I have two 3TB drives and one 14TB in my 2009. Would probably be looking to put another 14TB next to that Pegasus that Boil linked, or maybe just add two 14TB drives to the Fusion Flex. Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.