Can I afford to run Windows on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Maximus38, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Maximus38 macrumors member

I have an iMac and have been tempted for a while to use Boot Camp and run Windows.

I know that Windows XP SP2 is needed to work with Boot Camp. BUT there seem several versions of it - do I need the full version (about £190) or can I get away with the Upgrade version (about £60)

Also, if I had a friend who had a copy of SP2, could I use it with my Mac? Or would I have to buy my own version?

If the answers are the full version, and no, then it would cost me almost £300 ($600) to run Windows, (including the purchase of the Leopard OS) and I could virtually buy a new PC for that kind of money.
    I'd really appreciate any tips or help from some of you wise folk out there!

Maximus :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need the full version as you are not upgrading from a previous Windows install (and update versions don't work with BootCamp). You cannot use your mates version. Not only is it illegal, but you would need a new license key as when you try and activate with his key it will fail.

I'm not sure where you are getting £190 from? You can get an OEM copy for a little over £80.

3. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

A full version of windows is required so no an upgrade version would not work.. it is also not possible to legally run your friends copy of the windows os however it can be done with a phone call and a lie to microsoft.... I purchased and use this copy of windows xp pro sp2 from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116400

4. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Ya you can buy an OEM copy very cheap. Some places need at least a hard drive purchased before they can legally sell you the OEM windows. Still a 500GB drive is so cheap these days that you can buy that, a cheap external enclosure and use it for data storage AND buy the OEM windows and be ahead of the retail box version.