Can I always install RAM ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sannekita, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Hey guys,
    I have my new MBP arriving (hopefully) next week. (The apple reseller keeps saying he doesn't know when they'll arrive??). It's the 2.4 model with 2GB of RAM in it. I've looked into installing RAM yourself and it seemed so easy that I descided to do that. The question is: can I do this at any point without loosing data? will it be better if i do it before i start using the computer a lot, so immediatly put it in after it arrives? or does this stuff really not matter?
    Thanks!

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Doesn't matter. You can change the RAM at any time.

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you can actually do it yourself.
    how do you plan to use your MBP?
    for general use like surfing the net, listening to itunes, iphoto etc the 2 GB RAM will suffice.
    but since an upgrade is just less than 100 bucks..
    it's better if you do.
    i changed mine in less than 5 min

4. Sannekita thread starter macrumors regular

Sannekita

I'm a video editor, so i figured it would be a usefull upgrade. Thanks for the advice!

5. wk127001 macrumors member

In the manual that came with your MBP there is a guide on how to install RAM yourself, probably the best way to go would be to look at that.

6. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Other World Computing (OWC) has good products at reasonable pricing. You will get an instruction sheet with pictures that will walk you through the upgrade on your MBP. Very easy to do.

I just ordered some for my boyfriends iMac and came with the same sheet with pictures.

You will have to make sure you have the philips PH 00 screwdriver. You can get one from this site or if you know someone who works on computers, they may already have it.

Here is a link to the site where the MBP Ram is sold. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Plenty of good advice here. RAM is single handedly the best bang for buck upgrade for any computer. And installing it is extremely easy on nearly all computers (even PC's!).

8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Installing ram is the single best upgrade a computer can have I just ordered 4 GB's for my Macbook because it's hell without more.

9. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Adding RAM is definitely the best value for your upgrade dollars. OWC is one of the best 3rd party Mac resellers, has been around for a long time, and guarantees their RAM for life. They also offer a trade-in program, which is great if you never plan on using the original RAM again, but with the price of RAM being what it is, don't expect to get much for it.

MacDann

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You will not lose data by installing more (or even by removing) RAM.

However you should ALWAYS back up your data before working on any machine - whether it is adding RAM or upgrading an OS.