Can I and Should I Delete All Mail on my Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser1232, Sep 17, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

It's all in the title. I was wondering if I could delete all my mail because it will free up a lot of space even though I don't need to free up any hard drive space. I do want to keep all the mail in my Inbox though. I have already tried deleting All Mail but it keeps coming back so im wondering if I should be deleting it or not.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Mail is not stored on your hard drive, it is stored on the Mail server that your account is linked to.

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

yeah I realized that. But I just found out that if I delete all mail it will also delete everything in my Inbox which I don't want to happen.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't understand what you mean.

You are trying to delete what? The e-mails being displayed on your IMAP Mail application or on the server itself via browser?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From your comment about an "All Mail" folder, makes me think you are using GMail with IMAP in the Mail app... yes?

If you want to cut the disk space used in half, go to gmail.com and in the settings uncheck All Mail from the "show in IMAP" section like in my screen shot.

With All Mail checked it essentially keeps a second copy of every message in that folder in Mail and you don't need that.

[​IMG]

6. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I'm not the OP but this is very helpful information. Because I rarely check my mail in the browser, as I prefer the Mail app, I never looked at the settings. I can get rid of 'all' and 'important', so thanks for the tip.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not if you use a local application on your computer. It syncs with the server, but it saves a copy for offline storage (assuming you haven't adjusted the settings to avoid that). Weaselboy's solution cuts down on how much of that occurs.

jW

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Yes I understand that, I just misunderstood the OP. It wasn't specified as IMAP or not initially.