Can I archive a website on a CD?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cooknwitha, Jul 10, 2007.

1. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Okay, this is my quandry -

I spent over a year overseas and maintained an online diary during this time. The entire website was my own creation so I wrote the code from scratch - no templates.

Now that my travels are over and I need to use the domain name for something else (a portfolio), is there a way of burning all the files onto a CD and viewing it offline?

This is the rub - the headers, footers, menus etc. are all php and because I'm simple and got confused with php, my .htaccess files contains:

Code:
    php_value include_path ".:/home/[root]/public_html/[subdomain]/"

I should point out that the website if an add-on domain hence its root being [subdomain].

I hope I've been clear enough.

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

if you don't intend to add to it, and depending on how funky it is in the way it operates, you might consider something like Deep Vacuum to suck out a pure html version of the site that can be easily viewed off a disc (and you can always archive the original php files, sql dump etc alongside).

Otherwise, getting Apache/php to run off a non-boot disc sounds like a pretty marginal cost/benefit ratio experience to me.

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Why not just throw the portfolio in a subfolder? domain.com/subfolder....

4. phatphil macrumors member